PDA

View Full Version : STK Chick & Full Moon

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Early this morning, the Chick perched out in the open with a setting moon in the background. I do not have a lot of experience with this type of photography and will appreciate all suggestions on how to improve this image.

Nikon D3, 500mm lens, 1.7TC, f6.7, ISO 2500, FF@-2/3

Thanks,

Hugh

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
How lucky can one get Hugh. It is a dream to be able to get the moon in the BG. Love the feeling of the baby preparing for a new day. The lighting is difficult at that time of day but you did an awesome job !! Big congrats . Might see you in the morning as I have all the packing down !!!

Michael Wolf
07-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Hugh,

Great capture! It is a tough one to figure out on the fly as the moon seems to be moving at a mile a minute
but it looks like you pulled it off.
Not sure what I could tell you to do defferent as I too have no experience shooting this kind of scene.

Daniel Cadieux
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I like the dawn/dusk mood you captured here. I wouldn't want to make it any lighter as the moon would lose it's effect. If anything I would probably selectively sharpen the clump of the perch in front of the bird as it seems softer than the rest of the tree (perhaps caused by the movement of the bird's weight as it lands). What was the shutter speed you got along with those techs?

Raymond Barlow
07-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Cool shot buddy., Only thing I can think of is a little more flash?, well done.

Stu Bowie
07-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Hugh, cool capture, and we all dream of these type of shots flying across setting suns, and full moons, as you have here. I would select the bird and just lighten him a little as it looks like you may not recover too much shadows. Then I would darken the moon and sky a tad. Just a thought.

Mark Dumbleton
07-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Agree with Stu regarding lightening of bird. Super composition and setting - I always dream of an opportunity like this!

Lana Hays
07-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Hugh
Whoa......you hit the jackpot. I might have howled at the moon once or twice but certainly never photographed it. I'd say you did pretty well. I'd carefully lighten up the bird and decide what looks best. Well done.