PDA

View Full Version : Nesting cattle egret

Connie Mier
07-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I look forward to your comments and participating on the forum. I posted this particular shot since it is one that I took with a flash, something I am beginning to use and haven't quite got the hang of yet. I shoot with a Sony a700, and on this day, I was using the Minolta f4 300mm lens with 1.4XTC. Settings: ISO400, f6.3, 1/800. Flash was set to fill flash. I was using spot metering. Post processing included some cropping and cloning out an errant branch that was poking the bird. I also adjusted the white balance, increasing the heat a bit. I do most of my photography on the water, from my canoe, so no tripod used. This photo was taken on Biscayne Bay, Florida (near Miami). Thank you for you time.
Connie

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Big welcome Connie it is so good to see you post here and what a lovely first post it is. Lovely action captured in this image and excellent exposure. the twig is definitely a great bonus. A little more sharpening around the head area and eye would strengthen this image but just love your timing and action Connie. Big congratulations and I will look forward to your future posts.

Daniel Cadieux
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome to BPN Connie! Appealing first post, with good action. I like the egret "stepping" on the vegetation. I agree with Judy, and would add that it would have been nice to have a better head angle (looking more towards us rather than away). Good stuff, and looking forward to more!

Bruce Enns
07-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Big welcome to BPN Connie! This is a very nice first post, great action in the pose and the sticks are a nice addition. Well done! I agree with Judy's and Daniel's suggestions. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your images as well!

Cheers!
Bruce

WIlliam Maroldo
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice Job! You did very well with the exposure, and it looks like good soft light, or if it wasn't the fill flash really did a good job. You did clip the whites on the far wing, but nothing that couldn't easily be dealt with in Adobe Camera RAW before converting.
Composition is good, yet I'd probably let the bird occupy the left 1/3 of the image (I'm one of those rule of thirds kind of guys).
We are outnumbered here, but I also shoot a Sony a-700, and feel it is up to the task, and the onboard image stabilization certainly can't hurt if you're shooting hand held from a canoe!
Great first post. regards~Bill

Rich Steel
07-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Connie

You captured some great action and an interesting pose here. Expsoure looks good and the composition in terms of space around the bird is just right. A bit more head turn towards the camera would have benefited the overall image. A great first post and looking foward to seeing more.

Cheers

Rich