PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Tern

Rich Steel
07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Hi

I took up a trip up to the Farnes Island off North East England on Monday. As you step on to Inner Farne island you have to make your way up through an Arctic Tern colony and so find yourself immediately under attack. Most people hurry through and those without hats often suffer bleeding heads. I had a specific plan to stay endue the unpleasentness of the attacks to try and get some photos with a wide angle lens. I managed about 90 minutes before heading for a quieter area. The terns seemed to have learnt a new trick this year and rather than just attacking the head now also seem to target ears. It was hard work as they are very erratic and come straight at you like the proverbial rocket but my efforts produced some unusual photos. I have posted one of the more regular ones here. A great sky to photograph against especially with the wide angle .

At least this one had a sandeel in its beak which meant it was preoccupied rather than attacking me!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/arctictern262009.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 24 - 70mm lens at 70mm F5.6 +0.33Ev at ISO 400 and 1/4000s

Cheers

Rich

Aidan Briggs
07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I love this one. Great perspective with the wide angle, and you gotta love that BG. Nice wing position, HA, and prey. I might lighten the area around the eye a tad though.

Well done!

Gal Shon
07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Wide angle are such a joy...
Excellent result and a great wing span

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Beautiful image that has an almost etherial feel to it. Lovely wing position and exposure and the fish is a real added bonus. To get a catchlight in the eye of these birds is a challenge and you did well with this one . Congratulations on a fine image Rich.

Fabs Forns
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
The pretty background really makes the bird pop, the catch is a great bonus. Glad you could see the eye given the low light. Very soft mood to the image, congrats!

Jamie Strickland
07-09-2009, 06:10 PM
the BG is outstanding, is it PP at all?

maybe a bit more lighting on the eye? that's the only thing that I would like to see more of

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
With a wide angle lens no less. Well worth the attack for this image.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Agree about the BG! The wing position makes this guy looks like an angel (if you believe in them!)
The fish in the beak is a big bonus for me.

Mike Lentz
07-09-2009, 09:32 PM
This image (to me) is absolutely wonderful! The BG skies, the wing position and having the Sandeel in the beak! NICE!

Rich Steel
07-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. There has been no PP on the background at all and it is as photographed. I find the eyes on terns are difficult with them being on a black head, I ended up throwing a lot of photos away as a result. Juan strange you should mention angels as my better half calls these terns 'angel wings'. They really are very well equipped for their long distance flying.

cheers

Rich

Stu Bowie
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey Rich, pretty close for 70mm. Thanks for sharing the story, and what excellent exposure you achieved here. Sharp, and great to see the fish in the beak. Just love the clouds in the BG. Well captured.

Austin Thomas
07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Nicely done Rich,

As you know I was one of the ones with a hat but running for cover !

Great BKGR and choice of lens. Thanks for your company on Monday.

Cheers

Austin

Mark Dumbleton
07-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Superb wide angle use - like the composition with super head angle. Like the inclusion of the clouds and the catch a bonus!

Axel Hildebrandt
07-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Cool pose, BG and eye contact. The fish adds to it. I'm glad the terns around here are not quite as vicious. :) Do they only attack if you get too close for their comfort or do they attack everything that moves?

Ramon M. Casares
07-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Great pose, light, moment, colors, detail, exppsure, BG, and comp. Congratulations!

Rich Steel
07-11-2009, 04:27 AM
Cool pose, BG and eye contact. The fish adds to it. I'm glad the terns around here are not quite as vicious. :) Do they only attack if you get too close for their comfort or do they attack everything that moves?

Axel they attack anything that moves!. There is narrow path that leads up through the colony which has posts and rope along either side. The adults sit on the posts and if you catch their eye they launch themselves at your head. You have to be careful where you tread at this time of year as well as there are all sorts of chicks running round on the path.

Cheers

Rich

Axel Hildebrandt
07-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks, Rich! Where I went there used to be a colony of arctic terns, too, but the gulls caused so much trouble that they stopped coming a few years ago. They only allow 30 people per day on the island who have to be in blinds and have to leave the island after 2 hours.