PDA

View Full Version : House-fly

Thomas Herou
07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
K10D, D-FA 100/2,8 macro
f/4, 1/250s, ISO200

Steve Maxson
07-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I love the simplicity of the comp, Thomas - the image has a nice feel to it. You might consider removing the single grass blade on the left as it pulls my eye away from the fly. Well done.

Dave Leroy
07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I really like the simplicity as well as the contrast between fly and bg. I too find the extra blade of grass a bit distracting. Nicely done.
Dave

Aidan Briggs
07-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I love the green BG, and the simplicity. Perfect DOF for this image. I would crop from the left to get the fly out of the right side, and to remove the blade of grass.

Well done!

Ed Vatza
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Thomas,

Background is lovely. I could take or leave the extra blade of grass. I just wish the fly was a little larger in the frame.

Thomas Herou
07-10-2009, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the c&c,all!
I was not sure about the left grass.I think it makes the comp balanced.But I'll try
a version without it.Good to have other eyes looking at the image.

Julie Kenward
07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Thomas, this is really nice in its simplicity. A few ideas for next time...turn the camera on an angle so the grass blade goes across the frame instead of directly up an down. If both blades of grass were going at an angle in relation to each other I think this would have much more impact.

Also, in this image, I'd cut a chunk off the bottom. It's all OOF anyway so you really only need to show a bit of that area and that would also increase the size of the fly in relation to the entire frame.

Gorgeous details on that fly, BTW. Love that his front legs are not even touching the grass!

Thomas Herou
07-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks Julie!

I have a bunch of pictures taken through the years of flies on diagonal straws,so this is just
a way to try something new.I like images that shows the smallness of the insect in a pleasent
setting.That's very hard,because you have so little time to compose the picture.But it's
a real challenge and a lot of fun.

Alfred Forns
07-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Thomas

Love this fly and inspirational to me !!! Got to wok them in to the environment better !!!

Simple and so strong Big Congrats !!!

Thomas Herou
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks,Al.
Sometimes is simpler better.I've noticed that to take a step back can
sometimes really make a big difference.