PDA

View Full Version : Hunting lessons

Jorge Rodrigues
07-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi,

Took this picture on a recent trip to the Mara, this is a mother cheetah with one of her off-spring (there were two). Mom was trying to teach them a few lessons on hunting but they were a bit on the lazy side. Personally I love the "this is Africa" feeling the image conveys, accentuated by the B&W effect.

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, EF 600 @ f/8 1/160, ISO 640

Harshad Barve
07-09-2009, 07:02 AM
I am not fan of B/W images but this goes well for me
For me there is too much of space at top ,
These cats are on top of my list ,
Thanks for sharing
Harshad

Markus Jais
07-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I think B&W works great here. Maybe you can also post the color version.
I like the cats looking directly at the camera.Composition is very good.

Markus

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2009, 07:58 AM
I disagree with cropping, as that OOF BG has that typical Masai Mara savannah look - the cats in the cropped image could be in a zoo pen. like the mood of the B&W and the looks they gave you!

Kiran Poonacha
07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Class act this, the head turn and that too both the subjects makes this frame great. I would go with the OP. could you share the coloured one too. Just would like to enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I totally love the eye contact and comp of this pair. As per Morkel, I reckon the crop is not appropriate. There is too much vast landscape atop the scene perfectly illustrating the habitat in which these beautiful large cats thrive.

Thanks for sharing this magnificent image Jorge. :)

Jorge Rodrigues
07-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi Guys,

My intent was exactly to show illustrate the "this is Africa" feeling, the large spaces, the odd Acacia in the Mara... That is why I though the composition was appropriate (I even had to drive further away from the to get the horizon...).

Thanks,
Jorge

Kiran Khanzode
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM
The trees and the sky actually make this picture what it is about...Africa...the "umbrella" trees I've seen in all pictures that represent the essence of this place. Going with the OP 100%. The horizon seems off by justtt a bit.

Deborah Harrison
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Lovely image as is - you need the acacia trees silloueted in the back to give a true sense of environment. Did you convert this from color? - if so what technique did you use?

Jorge Rodrigues
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Debbie,

I use Photoshop CS4 for all my BW conversions. I used the coloring effect of CS4's BW conversion and I tend to chose a tone between "Silver" and "Sepia". I usually tend to darken yellows and or reds to provide more contrast (usually I try to darken the one that provides more contrast on pattern details).

Deborah Harrison
07-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Debbie,

I use Photoshop CS4 for all my BW conversions. I used the coloring effect of CS4's BW conversion and I tend to chose a tone between "Silver" and "Sepia". I usually tend to darken yellows and or reds to provide more contrast (usually I try to darken the one that provides more contrast on pattern details).

Thanks, it certainly results in a nice effect, I must try it.

David Fletcher
07-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I disagree with cropping, as that OOF BG has that typical Masai Mara savannah look - the cats in the cropped image could be in a zoo pen. like the mood of the B&W and the looks they gave you!

Like the first version too. Tells so much more about Africa. Great shot.

Alfred Forns
07-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I have to go with the first one The tighter crop is an option, can see the cats better but looses the feel.

Having the trees in the bg tells me the location. I like the overall mood and would only try lightening the face slightly Very fine image !!!

Robert Amoruso
07-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I go with the first one as the sense of environment is very strong and the cats are very visible.

Fabs Forns
07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I love the composition and choice of tonalities on the first one, well done!

Sabyasachi Patra
07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
This image was designed to show the environment. I love it. I like the b&W treatment as well. Cropping just removes that feel and hence it doesn't work for me. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Gregor Bergquist
11-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I love this. And I love the comp in OP, and the different facial expression on the cats. Fore me a bit to much sepia. And it could maybe do with slightly more exposure.