PDA

View Full Version : Crested Pigeons

Jenny Wren
07-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Here is a little band of Crested Pigeons. They are widespread throughout Australia. I love their hair dos.

The photo was taken late in the afternoon.

1/200 sec @ f5.6
ISO 400
Focal Length 300mm
No flash
Hand held

Your comments and critisisms are most welcome.

JW

Lance Peters
07-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Hi Jeni - like what you were trying to achieve here - IMHO there is just a bit to much going on - I like the main guy and his expression looking straight at the camera - however for my tastes there is not enough separation between the birds.
OOF foreground objects are tough = I dont know that they add much to this, would have liked to see more emphasis on the guy in the middle. Some noise in the BG -A pass of noise reduction would fix that.

Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
07-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi Jenny,
I like what you were trying to do here, you have too many variables coming into play...agree with Mr. Peters on his fine assessment and sound advise...I might add that you could have possibly walked to the sides to change your capture angle in order to get these guys on the same focal plane...and increasing your shutter speed, ISO, and stopping down your aperture setting to about f/11...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Jenny
What I would have tried is use the right AF sensor so the bird on the right edge (frame it well first) is sharp, then the focus falls off toward the rear of the image. It appears you used the center AF point, however, in one-shot mode, you should be able to place the center AF point on the RHS bird, depress the shutter halfway to lock focus, then reposition that bird in the viewfinder for a better framing option and take the picture.

Ilija Dukovski
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Other than above I actually like the fact that
you chose the correct bird to focus on,
and you have a pattern in the oof birds:
two looking left perfectly aligned and two looking right.
I actually like the idea and like the colors very much.

Cheryl Flory
07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
i think this is a very fun image, the third and fourth pigeons from the right, make the image! True, it would be nice to have more of the specifics mentioned above, but if not possible, I'm glad you still took this shot. I think it is hilarious!

Katherine Enns
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I would like to echo Cheryls comment, this is a charming and funny shot. I might have cropped the left hand side a bit to take out the half a bird, but I am just not comfortable enough with opinions (I think I give up on 3/4 of my potential posts). I like the dynamics of this.

Jenny Wren
07-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I have taken on board all the advice given.

I am happy it may have made a couple of smiles. Sometimes (most times) it is difficult to get all your ducks in a line, with the right spacing between them, all looking at the camera ...and in focus, without falling off a cliff! Although technically flawed, I am still happy I took the shot.

JW

Alfred Forns
07-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I like what you were doing Jeny Tough getting separation and head angles but you were close !!! I think keeping the heads from merging is the key !!! Do like it and on I would keep !!!