PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Warp 9 Mr. Sulu!

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
This gull was just coming out of warp and into sub-light speed when I captured it. I think it just flew in from Berkeley, somewhere around 1968. :eek:

This was an Alien Skin effect called "motion trail", applied to a layer that had only the bird on it. I then ran that layer through Topaz Simplify with the "Buzz Sim" preset. Made a layer mask and painted out some of the effect to restore some detail on the gull. Don't know if it works, thought I'd see what you think. :cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Gosh! You are a busy bee buddy! This is a great effect, I do love the blur very much. I am in two minds about the upper BG especially. I wonder if it would look better with less manipulating of the water? I don't know, maybe my typing accent. :D (kidding)

I do like it it's just the water is not so much to my taste perhaps. Still very, very good! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Dude, that's not water - it's sky! :D:D:D

Indranil Sircar
07-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Kerry, I love the idea. Although this looks more like Klingon bird of prey coming out of warp! The motion trail looks awesome. I am wondering making the trail a bit translucent will have the sky pop up better.

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Indranil, I was just kidding. It is water... But yes, I tried it several ways including less opacity of the trail.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 01:11 AM
You are the creator it is your choice Sir how you present. Thanks for getting back to me! :) Good night!

denise ippolito
07-09-2009, 03:34 AM
Kerry, This is totally OOTB!!!I agree w/ Indranil and would like to see the trail a bit more translucent-BUT this is way cool and it does have a WARP-SPEED look to it so your message has been conveyed!!

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I will re-visit this tonight and post a version with a more translucent blur. I appreciate the feedback!! :D

Harold Davis
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
sorry kerry, i had to play a little. i just wanted the bg a little darker. i added black to the whites and neutrals. hope you dont mind, but i thought it made the bird pop off the page a little more. i dont mind the opacity of the blur, but will be interested in seeing your repost!

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Dr. D, never a problem! I think it is great when people are interested enough to make changes to others' images. I like what you did and will use it for reference when I do the rework!

Dave Phillips
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
nice nice blur Kerry.
For my taste the original is preferrable with the more subtle blue tones and less contrast.
Might try a slight desat of some of the blue

Dan Brown
07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Nice work on this Kerry! I like the blur and the comp with the big space in front of the gull with your signature in residence!

Kerry Perkins
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok, I reworked this quite a bit. Survey says - less opacity to the blur and less saturation to the bg. Dr. D, I went the other way with this for the sake of comparison. We have your version too! I think this makes a cleaner look to the bird and I tried to get more detail and less effect. :)

Jay Gould
07-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Kerry, your repost puts it over the top! It would be interesting to see the original with the Star Trek trails.

denise ippolito
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Kerry, Really nice re-post!!! Looks great!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Well done with the repost Kerry Sir. :) I do like this heaps!

Dave Phillips
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
absotutely posilively a top notch rework....IMO the more translucent blur and desat of bg
worked do well together. If I were voting, I would vote for you....awesome job

Dan Brown
07-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Hurray for the repost!!!:)

Jackie Schuknecht
07-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Very dynamic Kerry. Like the opposing lines of the blur and the water. Like your repost the best. Nice use of Topaz, not overdone.