PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dragonfly

Don Lacy
07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Wish I had more time to contribute but have not had much free time lately, I was able to spend some time working on some old files where I came across this female Scarlet Skimmer shot last year.

40D, 300 f/4 +1.4TC + 25MM Ext Tube, 1/160s at f/16, Flash at -2 plus diffuser, ISO 400, Raw, Tripod, Cropped

Steve Maxson
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Nicely posed on the bent stem, sharp, well exposed, and a great background. I would suggest cropping from the bottom for more of a pano look. Well done.

Rene Quenneville
07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Superb picture Don,

Great light and well composed. Beautiful background and no reflections (hot spots from the flash) in the wings.

Richard Lovison
07-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Nice image Don. Wonderful detail in the dragonfly. It works for me as presented as the head of the dragonfly is in the power position though a pano crop seems to work as well.

Bruce Enns
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Beautiful and very sharp Don! Love the details on the dragon and the perch, the pose! Agree with Randy on a wee bit off the bottom (closer to the 2:3 ratio), but also works well as is...

Cheers!
Bruce

PS Gotta love those dragonfly names...I guess the male is the scarlet one.

Don Lacy
07-09-2009, 05:07 AM
PS Gotta love those dragonfly names...I guess the male is the scarlet one.
Bright red and beautiful I will post a male later or you can check out my Dragon Album that I started there is one image of a male there.
Thank you for the comments.

Julie Kenward
07-09-2009, 07:32 AM
That's about as perfect a DF image as I think I've ever seen here on BPN. I looked and looked at it and there's not anything I can find that I don't love. The sharpness...the BG...the composition...the exposure...it's all there.

Thank so much for sharing it Don. It was definitely worth your precious free time to work on it. It's a show stopper.

Don Lacy
07-09-2009, 09:22 AM
That's about as perfect a DF image as I think I've ever seen here on BPN. I looked and looked at it and there's not anything I can find that I don't love. The sharpness...the BG...the composition...the exposure...it's all there.

Thank so much for sharing it Don. It was definitely worth your precious free time to work on it. It's a show stopper.
Julie, Thank you for the kind comments I have the week off and its all about dragons so I should have some new images to post in the coming weeks and a few new species too hopefully.

Ed Vatza
07-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Beautiful! Incredible detail on the d-fly and beautiful background. A winner for sure!

Adrian David
07-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Excellent capture!!! Good sharpness, beautiful colors, and a perfect background...I wish it was mine...:)

Daniel Cadieux
07-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree about cropping a bit from bottom, but wow what a nice dragon image. I love the sharp black "veins" on the wings. Good stuff!