PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Mom Off The Perch!

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
The Swallow-tailed Kite chick decided that it wanted to occupy the same branch as mom, but mom flew away. This was the first instance, so I'm told, that the chick perched out in the open with the sky as the BG. Such concentration.

Nikon D3, 500mm lens, 1.4TC, 1/1600 @f6.3, ISO 800

Thanks for looking and critiques welcome.

Hugh

Randy Stout
07-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Hugh:

Nice action captured, well exposed, sharp.

In a perfect world,with these poses, the light coming in over your left shoulder would have been preferable, but still very nice. If you haven't already done so , it might be nice to lighten the underwing shadows a bit.

From a composition standpoint, I would like a bit more at the top, bit less at the bottom, since the action is moving up. This is a personal choice, but thats how it strikes me.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Doug Brown
07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Randy makes a couple of good points. I like the idea of a little less room at the bottom and a bit more up top. It's tough to get one bird looking the right direction, much less two, but I would like to see a bit more eye contact from either bird. Do you have an earlier frame in the sequence with the juvenile's wings more up?

Fabs Forns
07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Knowing how difficult these birds are, both in exposure and behavior, I think you did pretty good.
If you have the room at the top, it would be nice, if not, you can give it me :p:)

Brian Barcelos
07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I also agree with whats been said about comp. Still a wonderful image. Exposure is just great. I wish I had the opportunity with this beautiful species.
Brian

Daniel Cadieux
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree about the comp suggestion. If you have it in your original you can simply add some back at top. If not, it would be VERY easy to add some canvas up there with that simple blue sky.

Harshad Barve
07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I my crop from bottom a bit, For me rest is good
Harshad

Ed Cordes
07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I like the action and you did a super job on the exposure. I also wondered about a pano crop with some off the bottom?

Stu Bowie
07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Great eye contact from the mom, and well done for capturing junior in mid hover. I agree to take off the bottom, and add to the top.

Morkel Erasmus
07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
great job on the whites! in a perfect world you would have been straight in line with this shot instead of shooting up - but hey, nothing to do about that ;). I agree on the comp suggestion.

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Excellent timing Hugh !!!! Wonderful capture yo see him about to land and good job with a difficult exposure . Sure hope you had a great trip !!!!

Glenda Simmons
07-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Great action image, and nice that you told us what was happening.