Richard Lovison
07-08-2009, 03:36 PM
http://richardlovison.com/photos/lily2.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Olympus E-3
ZD 14-54mm @ 54mm
manual exposure - 1/4 sec f16
ISO 100
combination natural light and flash (fill at 1/4 power)
hand held using in-camera IS

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Richard
I like it. Simple, contrasting with the BG and very elegant. Congrats! :)

Don Lacy
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Richard, Nicely composed and the Lily contrast nicely with the black BG, overall the image seems a little dark on my monitor but my iMac is starting to show its age so it could just be me.

Richard Lovison
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Richard, Nicely composed and the Lily contrast nicely with the black BG, overall the image seems a little dark on my monitor but my iMac is starting to show its age so it could just be me.

Don,

I purposely made it dark so your monitor is probably just fine. :)

Rene Quenneville
07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Nice comp. Richard,

lighting comming from the front puts the emphasis on the front petal and the underside of the right one. A reflector on top of the flower could have helped to fill the center a little more. Overall it is a very nice image.

Julie Kenward
07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Very nice composition on this one, Richard. You filled the space nicely and balanced out the frame really well. I also think it feels a little tiny bit dark in the center/top and center/bottom area. I understand you were going for the "appearing out of the dark" idea and I like it - just think it could use a touch more illumination in the center area.

Overall, it's a lovely image.

Richard Lovison
07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Don, Rene and Jules for your suggestions. In the repost I brought up the middle and also brought up the mid-tones using the curves tool. The corrections make a better print as the original was too subdued.

http://richardlovison.com/photos/lily3.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Rene Quenneville
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Beautiful,
You have made this flower stand-out very nicely.

Ed Vatza
07-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I was going to basically ditto what the others had said then I got to your repost. the repost looks much better to my eye. The flower pops a lot more against that black background. Nicely done.