PDA

View Full Version : Carrying On The Species

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Have tried many times to catch both STK with their eyes visible but not always an easy task. They are such beautiful birds and since they are on the endangered species lists it is good to know that these birds are breeding and protecting their kind.

Nikon D3
Nikon 600 mm F4
1/1250, F8
ISO 400 manual

All comments are appreciated. Thanks

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
You got them :D Very intimate image. Bit steep but you did your best I guess.
Nice image. I just miss the lack of details of the left black wingtip of the male.

Szimi

Stu Bowie
07-08-2009, 11:44 AM
They certainly are breeding Judy. Being on top of the perch, they are nicely in the open, and as you said, eyes clearly visible. I would try and lighten their eyes a bit, if possible. Thanks for sharing.

Stephen Stephen
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Judy thanks for sharing this lovely behaviour image. Your posting information doesn't have any mention of Fill Flash.

I'm just curious. Did you consider using flash to illuminate the underside of the wing or, did you purposely not use it to avoid frightening the birds?

David Roach
07-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Fantastic moment captured!! You handled the light angle well getting good eye conyact on both! Congrats!

Fabs Forns
07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Judy thanks for sharing this lovely behaviour image. Your posting information doesn't have any mention of Fill Flash.

I'm just curious. Did you consider using flash to illuminate the underside of the wing or, did you purposely not use it to avoid frightening the birds?

Stephen, in a sunny day, at the focal distance she used and the shutter speed of 1/1200 of a second, the flash will have no impact on the underwing.

Judy, you caught them red handed. Good job.
It is a steep angle but these birds live and operate at extreme heights.

Hugh J McLaughlin
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
The light is what it is on basically black and white subjects. Heads are lined up perfectly.

Missed you this morning!

Phil Ertel
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice capture of nature in action with enough eye contact to make it engaging. I do not mind the steep angle. Good show!

Thanks Fabs for the reminder on flash.

Bruce Enns
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I like this a lot Judy! The steep angle doesn't bother me...great eye contact from both birds, the action, and the inclusion of a good part of the perch all make this a great image. Congrats!

Cheers!
Bruce

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Good on you for stalking them and capturing the moment. I don't mind the angle of view at all. THis is special indeed! Thanks for sharing!

Glenda Simmons
07-09-2009, 10:28 AM
A great image, Judy Lynn. Certainly not the typical STK picture. The green foliage and blue sky really add to the composition. Love the eye contact. Recently, I had one fly as low as I have ever seen, over my yard, then with it's lightening quick speed, it was gone and out of sight, before I had time to react. (other than my mouth dropping open)