PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian Oystercatcher

Paul Lagasi
07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
These birds seemed to be everywhere in the UK, some miles away from the ocean. This bird was in panic mode, a Great-Blacked Back Gull was raiding her nest...wished I could have done something but I was too far away. It passed me and I managed to get a few, as it was going by. You can almost see the fear in her eye.

D300
Nikon 300 2.8
F9
1/2000
iso-640
sRGB
pattern metering
cropped
minor sharpening

Manos Papadomanolakis
07-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I really like the pose and the eye contact!

David Fletcher
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
The pose and eye contact are great. As you say... can see the fear in the eye.

Dave Leroy
07-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Nice details Paul, although the whites seem a bit hot. The Black Oyster Catchers here on the west coast are fearsome fighters and take on the local eagles while the gulls are panicing. Dave

Gyorgy Szimuly
07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Nice image with eye contact. Rump tends to shot blown whites.

Szimi

Stephen Stephen
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Paul nice eye contact and the sharpness of this image held up to the crop. As others have indicated the whites look hot on my monitor. I'd still be pleased to have added this images to my collection. In the few photos that I have of this bird it was standing in a field a long distance away.

Stu Bowie
07-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Good to see another variety of Oyster catcher. We have the African black Oyster catcher, same red in the bill and eye, but no white on the body. Well done on getting him in flight.

Doug Brown
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I just love Oystercatchers; a shame this one's nest was being raided. Techs have already been pointed out. You've got to have good light to get this exposure right. I suspect that you could probably salvage a fair amount of detail in these whites.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
The hot whites have been mentioned. The bird is flying away from you but what the heck? This is a great looking OC and as you estate, the fear is visible in the eye. Would be nice to see this image a bit larger.