PDA

View Full Version : "Canal Street"

Gus Cobos
07-08-2009, 05:09 AM
This busy street is known as the famous Canal Street; the chaotic home to counterfeit goods and cut price bargains. Visitors keen to find a piece of untamed New York should check out Canal Street, in lower Manhattan. Canal Street is a mecca for counterfeit handbags, suspect jewellery, fake Rolex watches, knocked off goods and other dodgy merchandise, there's an element of the old Wild West to be found here.

Canal Street is a major New York thoroughfare, connecting lower Manhattan to New Jersey in the west (via the Holland Tunnel) and Brooklyn in the east (via the Manhattan Bridge). It's also well served by several subway stations a long its east-west route.

The street takes its name from an old canal that was dug to drain the contaminated Collect Pond into the Hudson River in the early 1800s. After the pond was filled in 1811, the street was built along its angled route. If you plan on visiting New York City, I highly recommend this attraction...:cool:

denise ippolito
07-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Gus, Canal Street never looked so good!! I always go to Little Italy which is right near there!! I love the hustle and bustle in the city during the holidays!!!

Alfred Forns
07-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the info Gus !!! That is one busy street !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Sort of reminds me of Vegas Gus, go their once just to experience it. Thanks for the details:)

Kerry Perkins
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Gus, this brings back cool memories for me. On February 12, 1997, U2 launched their "PopMart" tour with a press conference and performance inside the K-Mart store in that area. I was on the video crew that supplied the world-wide broadcast of the event and even spoke to Bono about the placement of a large video screen. Not a huge claim to fame, but it was cool and I spent a few days in a hotel on Canal Street. Neat place!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Now that IS a busy place Gus. One day I will visit NYC. On my lifelong list of places to go. :) Thanks for sharing.

Gus Cobos
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Kerry,
This is what it's all about...to share and bring back memories and an opportunity for the rest of our BPN family members to look and share the neat places we have personally experience...I'm glad I was able to put a smile on your face...:):D:cool:

P.S. I believe the K-Mart store is still there...one of my cousins lives close by in China Town...:eek::cool: