PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Jay Close-up

Brian Kersey
01-01-2008, 11:18 PM
From Lake Cachuma. I was hanging around this Scrub Jay for a while and he let me get pretty close. What do you guys think? Thanks.
1D2 and 100-400 at 400 f/6.3

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi Brian.

I love the colors in this, just wish the bird looked at you to put the eyes in the same plane as the tip of the bill for sharpness in the latter.

Big welcome to BPN!!!

Glenn Bartley
01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Welcome to BPN!

I like th colors in this image but I think there is WAy too much empty space to the left and top. I would consider cropping it down a fair bit. Agree with Fabs' comments as well.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Happy new year!

David Kennedy
01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Hi, Brian,
As Fabs was intimating, one of the most important things to learn about wildlife photography is waiting for the right head position. A either bird facing you, or with its head parallel to the frame, will yield a much better portrait than one with a bird effectively looking away.
You've got the right idea with the background--fairly clean with a nice tone--but Glenn is right that the composition leaves you with too much BG and too little bird. Keep working at it!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Welcome Brian to BPN.

Great color and detail in this image and I agree with Glenn about the cropping. Cropping both the top and left side would strengthen this image. Beautiful lighting in this capture as well and I will look forward to seeing future posts Brain.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi Brian and welcome to the forums!

As per guideline # 20. You may post only one image in each forum in a twenty-four hour period.

I like the colour of the BG in this, but wish he was looking more towards the viewer.