PDA

View Full Version : Egret at Rockport, TX on a foggy morning

Terry Nickel
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
This was created in Rockport, Texas on a very foggy morning. It was shot at f/5.6, 300mm, 1/320s, and iso100. I appreciate your comments. I know I have lots of room for improvement, and I want to make sure I move in the right direction.

By the way, I am a neophyte with Photoshop Elements 6, and would appreciate some directions (training) in using this software. I saw a CD mentioned on this site, but it implies "advanced", and I am definitely not close to there. I basically use the QuickFix option, and have not gotten into layers and such. If somebody could direct me to a book or CD or some sort of training for a newbie, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Terry

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Terry and welcome.

If you are using Elements I suggest the following. Kelby's books are generally well-received though I don't have any experience with this particular book as I don't use elements.

The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers (VOICES) by Scott Kelby
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-Digital-Photographers-VOICES/dp/0735713928

My first suggestion here would be to do levels correction (elements can do that) and pull the white and black sliders to expand the tonal range and open up the image. I know that ELements 6 added new controls for contrast and the following website has a nice discussion of that.

http://www.photoshopsupport.com/elements/elements-6/free-tutorials/contrast-adjustment-layers.html

Basically, increasing the contrast and adjusting the tonal range (levels) is going to make this image look a lot better.

Composition is good. You have a good head turn from the bird (i.e., parallel or slightly turned towards the camera sensor). You could get lower and that improves compositions by putting you at the bird's perspective. It also reduces the FG at the feet and lessens the stuff there (the rack line junk at his feet is not pleasing). I think you have the eye sharp and it is more of function of sharpening the image. Use USM in elements.

Foggy mornings can make for flat images; expanding the tonal range and increasing contrast will make the image "pop".

Thanks for posting.

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I created the image below in a few minutes using techniques from the Digital Basics file. While I am sure that the books recommended are very good they will contain lots of info that you will never ever use. Digital Bascis was designed by a nature photographer for nature photogrpaphers. And 90% of the stuff included will work with Elements.

later and love,

artie

ps: levels, curves, selective color, patch tool, clone tool, and selective sharpening.

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
I have to agree with Artie as his publication will be more photographer centric. My recommendations were for basic references and will help with Elements users that do not have all of Photoshop's power.

Terry Nickel
02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks. I can really tell the difference in the photos, and have ordered the Digital Basics File.

Arthur Morris
02-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks. I can really tell the difference in the photos, and have ordered the Digital Basics File.

Much appreciated. When you get to the Photoshop workflow section, treat it just like a cookbook... Would love your feedback.

later and love, artie