PDA

View Full Version : Pray For Me

Julie Kenward
07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I was back out amongst the daylilies last night in the late evening sun with my macro lens and extension tubes attached when this guy came into view. He held still for quite awhile letting me try out several combinations of speed and aperture before moving on but, because of his size and the extension tubes, I only got a few images that "work." This was my favorite of the bunch.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f2.8 macro & extension tubes (20mm + 12mm I think)
f3.5 @ 1/80th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, natural light
Processed in ACR & CS4; medium crop, cloned out a small piece of daylily on the ULC.

Fabs Forns
07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I love that BG that seems to go with the sentiment. Nice diagonal formed by the body, I may sharpen the face more.

Alfred Forns
07-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Really good Jules !!! Not an easy critter to frame Over the top feel for me !!! Big Congrats !!!

Richard Lovison
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Jules,

Very nice. I agree with Fabs... the background works well with the subject and I like the diagonal line formed by the body.

My compliments on your hand holding technique... it can't be easy getting that sharp of an image at such a high magnification without a flash.

Julie Kenward
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Richard, you'd be surprised at how good you can get at it when you hate to carry a tripod!

Plus, I had a retaining wall to lean against so that helped.

Thomas Herou
07-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Wonderful BG,and a very nice pose.

Dave Leroy
07-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Really nice looking photo Jules. Nice and sharp and really like the way the colours work. I am not sure if I am seeing things or not but is there something alongside the insects left antenna- our right, towards the top?
Dave

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
If anything, I find the 'perch' a little bright for my taste compared to the rest of the tonalities across the image. Great HH technique indeed and lovely comp. More positive thoughts from me than that one negative. Thanks for sharing. :)

Mike Moats
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Jules, a very cool images and agree on the good details and great color in the BG. Also agree ith Akos that the perch is a little brite but not a big issue.

Bruce Enns
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Beautiful image Jules! Love the diagonal comp, the BG, exposure and excellent sharpness for HH, nice to find a cooperative one, everytime I come across one, there is way to much junk in the photo. Well done...I like it a lot!

Cheers!
Bruce

Julie Kenward
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I did actually tone down the perch a bit in pp as it was REALLY bright - a nice off-white/yellow daylily (which, coincidentally, is also what comprises the BG colors.) Dave, I can't remember if I had to clone a spot out around that top antenna or not but I bet I did. That might be what you're seeing. I'll give it another smooth over...thanks!

Steve Maxson
07-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Jules. Lots of good comments above. This is one of my favorite insects - but we don't have any in northern MN. :( The background make this image for me. Now I'm waiting for the side view with the head turned to look directly at you! :)