PDA

View Full Version : Playing in the mud

Jorge Rodrigues
07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Hi,

This is my first post at Birdphotographers.net and I believe I should introduce myself. My name is Jorge Rodrigues and I am a Portuguese amateur photographer eager to learn with some of the pros on the site. My professional live (e.g. from which I can make a living :-)) allows me to travel extensively throughout the world, and particularly Africa, therefore I can sometimes join work and pleasure and go out for a shoot.

This photo is from last April, when the first rains of the rainy season reached the Masai Mara. We spotted a big family of lions with 4 cubs, and after waiting for a few hours in the rain, they started playing in a mud hole nearby. This is one of the shots:

http://www.wonderbirds.com/G3J7242.jpg

I used my Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III with the EF 600, f/4, 1/60, ISO 1000, from the Safari van window using one of Arthur Morris' fantastic bean bags.

Regards to all,
Jorge Rodrigues

Harshad Barve
07-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Big Welcome Jorge
what a grand opening image,
Cub is looking so curious
Looking forward for more
Harshad

Sabyasachi Patra
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Hi Jorge,
A warm welcome to BPN!

A lovely first post. I like the stare and the composition. I might have liked a little bit more space at the top. I like the texture in the mud. Look forward to more images from you.

Members and forum contributors are required to use their full name as user id. You may send a Private Message to James Shadle to change your user id.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Deborah Harrison
07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Jorge,
Welcome to BPN!
What a fabulous image - sharp; the light in the eyes which are full of intent and the wonderful contrast between the brown background and the orange of the lion. I personally think the position of the lion within the frame works very well.
A great and unusual capture - looking forward to seeing more of your images.

David Fletcher
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Welcome too Jorge! Interesting first post and certainly look forward to more. Good details. Little too saturated for my taste, but imagine, this would look good in print.

Fabs Forns
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Big welcome eeto BPN, Jorge,
you sure know how to make and entrance :)

I like your choice of composition getting the subject very close to the corner and making good use of the negative space to offset the subject.

Will be looking forward to more.

Alfred Forns will get in touch with you for the name.

David Thomasson
07-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Jorge, and welcome! Very dramatic capture. I love the composition, the textures, and the light. You might try varying the light to add a little more drama.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5927/mudplay.jpg

Jorge Rodrigues
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will definitely post a few more!

Regards,
Jorge

Morkel Erasmus
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
what a super post Jorge! love the contrast between dark brown of the mud and the golden brown of the lion. I would print this big if I were you.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
HI Jorge
THat is a wicked first image man. I like the composition and the fact that the only vivid color is the lioness herself. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to much more from you.

WELCOME by the way! :)

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Welcome Jorge and great first post for the reasons mentioned above. Going lose and using a rule of thirds placement of the lion was a good choice here.

Bruce Enns
07-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi and a big welcome Jorge! What a fabulous first post! I like the comp very much, and the intense look and pose of the cub. The shape and texture of the mud adds a lot as well.

Cheers!
Bruce

Sid Garige
07-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Jorge,

Wonderful first post. expression on cub's face is excellent.

Nagesh Mula
07-09-2009, 04:05 PM
This is one fantastic shot and as said earlier is a wallpaper stuff. Congratulations!!