PDA

View Full Version : Just for the Record...

Ed Vatza
07-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Ed does daylilies too. :)

One of a series I hope to post over the next several days. I caught this lily just as it was moving from shade to some wonderful backlighting.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm macro lens; flash set-up that I didn't use; tripod-mounted w/ a Novoflex Macro Focusing Rail; bloom held steady in the light breeze with a McClamp; and, of course, natural backlight.

1/25 sec @ f/16, ISO 800, 0 EV

Image cropped to an 8x10.

Richard Lovison
07-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Gosh Ed, that's just gorgeous! At first I thought the far right (stamen?) was out of place though it kind of follows the red curve of the petal on the right while the others follow the red-orange curve to the left. Well done.

Ed Vatza
07-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Richard.

The stamens are curving toward the UL. The single pistel is reaching out toward the UR. And thus ends my knowledge of daylily anatomy!

Alfred Forns
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Love seeing the single pistel going right Just enhances the composition, makes all the difference for me. Great colors and love the backlight !!! Excellent !!!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-07-2009, 01:41 AM
A fantastic abstract Ed. Liked the graphich patterns offered by the curving pistils. Very elegant composition.
Somehow, for this image I yearn to see softer pistils especially towards the top. Ths sharper (and infocus) regions tend to draw my attention to the top of the frame. Just wondering if an intentional OOF rendering of it would be of help in providing a more overall softer feel/modd.
Just my thoughts...
:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-07-2009, 01:49 AM
INcredible abstract Ed. I love the lighting, the colors are so intense and the stamens going in one direction and the one that just has to do the opposite. Thanks for sharing.

Anita Bower
07-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Ed: This is really lovely. The oranges and yellows are gorgeouos, as is the backlighting. Nicely composed. Reflecting on Kaushik's comment about the top of the image drawing attention--I think this is also my experience, but I think it is because of the darkness of the pistils. It is a minor point. Excellent work here!

Julie Kenward
07-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Yes, Ed does daylilies...and very well might I add! Gorgeous lighting, perfect comp - there's nothing in this image that does not add to the overall look and feel. The pistol going in the opposite direction of the stamen is really really nice. Print it, Dano. :D:D:D

Christopher Miller
07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Looks like day lilies are a popular subject recently! Gorgeous abstract, Ed! Love the bright colors and the curving lines. Well done!

Daniel Cadieux
07-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Ed, what can I say? This is gorgeous - very strong visual impact. The backlighting coming through the petal gave you a fantastic result.

Fabs Forns
07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Stunning composition, good use of lines and colors.

denise ippolito
07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Ed, I've looked at this several times and it's just fantastic! The lighting and the colors are very special-Well done!!

Adrian David
07-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Very well seen!!! Love the colors and the curves...The backlight is wonderful!