PDA

View Full Version : Hello There

David Roach
07-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Juvenile tricolored checking out that shutter noise. Created at Wako in early morning sun.
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 800 F5.6@1/250

Axel Hildebrandt
07-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I like the light, details and little antennas and would lighten the shadow of the bill. I would also selectively sharpen the tip of the bill.

Stu Bowie
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Stunning light David, great HA, and love the colours in this. Axel hit the sharpening spot on.

Chris Kotze
07-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Super detail and colours.

Arthur Morris
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Were you on a tripod?

David Roach
07-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Thanks as always for the learnings!!! Yes, Artie I was on a Gitzo (one you recommend, forget model) with a Mongoose head. And, BTW using every sharpness technique you've written about (that is taught me) including one tidbit from Moose Peterson about rolling finger over shutter button rather than mashing it.

Arthur Morris
07-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks David. If the bird was holding steady, I would have moved left to have him staring right down the lens barrel. If not, it is just a matter of timing and often difficult to get it perfect. Here's why I asked about the tripod: in a situation like this, you might try the following: stop down to f/22 or so. That would bring you down to 1/30 sec. I belive. Do-able. Now, focus halfway (not 1/3 the way) between the eyes and the tip of the bill. (D-o-f is 50-50 with big lenses near MFD.) If you can pull it off, everything from the eyes to the bill tip will be sharp. Another option in lower light is to do the same using flash as main light.

ps: YAW. My pleasure. And joy.

Final comment on the image: it would have been better if the bird had been one step back, right on top of the little platform....

David Roach
07-07-2009, 10:27 AM
This beauty did not hold this pose long, but I got your point (and will try at next opportunity). Thanks again!

"Final comment on the image: it would have been better if the bird had been one step back, right on top of the little platform.... " Not sure of meaning here?<!-- / message -->

Arthur Morris
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Duh, that was for Alan Rube's Piping Plover image; I got confused as to where I was. Too many posts, to little time.