PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion Sting - the perfect fit

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2009, 01:37 AM
My first post of the sting was accompanied by many who wanted the sting shot but the whole scorpion in the frame.

I found this one yesterday and worked with it. Took a lot of time cloning out a dead blade of grass on the ground protruding from the rear end of the scorpion up to the top of the frame. Also applied a cooling filter to pike down the midday desert sun. Taken on the bottom of the Fish River Canyon in Namibia.

In hindsight I should've dialed an aperture of 16 or so but it was happening so fast...:)
My focus was on the scorpion's face and stinger point.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with Tamron 70-300 Di Tele-Macro @ Macro 200mm
f11 @ 1/800 SS @ ISO 800
EXP -0.7

Julie Kenward
07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Morkel, is this a larg crop? I'm wondering because it seems to be not as crisp as the others. Also, I understand you took a blade of grass out - from the bottom of the frame I imagine. I'd crop that out and go with more of a pano crop since you don't have more image at the top of the frame. As is, it feels like it's all bouncing off the top edge too closely.

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi Julie, thanks for the comment.

This is not cropped at all, but full frame. The blade of grass started behind the bent joint of the hind right leg (intersection of first horizontal and 2nd vertical lines in grid) and protruded from the 2nd joint of the tail at a 45deg diagonal line towards the top of the frame. I'll try and crop some off the bottom. I think it doesn't come across as sharp as the others due to my aperture being too low.

Mike Moats
07-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey Morkel, agree it needs a little more sharpness in the subject, I think your first post of this had much better focus.

Alfred Forns
07-06-2009, 10:49 PM
This is so close Morkel !!!! ... as you say maybe a little more dof Would even sacrificed shutter speed !!! Great action and just wish it was mine :)

Morkel Erasmus
07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
thanks Mike & Alfred. I've got a few more in different angles, some with better sharpness and will post them in due time as I've worked through them.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Nice image Morkel indeed. You are brave! :D A slightly better subject to sensor plane would have probably worked in favor of DOF, but when working fast, just get the best you can. I like it though and look forward to more.

Cheers :)

Morkel Erasmus
07-11-2009, 12:58 AM
thanks Akos!