PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Dumpling Squid

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 11:12 PM
I photographed this little fellow on a night dive many years ago in Sydney Harbour (aka Port Jackson). Nikonos III, 35mm lens and 1:1 extension tube. Full frame image. Fujichrome Sensia II 100ISO, f/22, 1/60th, single strobe.

Bruce Enns
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Very cool image Akos! I love the spots and the coloured dots and patterns made by the iridescence...it looks like a reflection of the cosmos in its eye! Well done mate!

Cheers!
Bruce

denise ippolito
07-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Akos, Very cool little guy-love the iridescence around the eye also. Thanks for sharing!!

Julie Kenward
07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Now there's an image you don't see every day! Akos, this is really cool but I have two suggestions. I would consider cloning out the one dark spot in the LRC of the image. My eye keeps going there and it would be a relatively easy fix. Also, I think the eye and possibly some of the squid could use a little more sharpness.

Mike Moats
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Akos, very cool critter, and agree with Jules on a little more sharpening on the eye at least.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-06-2009, 07:12 PM
THanks for looking Bruce, Mike and Ladies. :)

Julie, I am obviously very sloppy and will promise to take more care to fix the small details and the sharpening. I generally sharpen a little as a rule. (my best Arnie impersonation says: Bad idea) :)

Gordon Craig
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I really like the blues in this picture. Underwater photography is something that has always intrigued me. I imagine Macro Underwater would be an interesting market to crack. There is probably a lot of potential if one has access tyo clear water.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks Gordon. With super close-ups like this it is not essential to have clear water at all. It comes down to lighting techniques as well. You are so close to your subject that it does not matter too much, as long as you keep the background really close.

Where I dive(d) poorish visibility is more common than not.

THanks for looking and I appreciate your comments. :)