PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit

Brian Kersey
01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
From Bolsa Chica Wildlife Sanctuary. I thought that this image conveyed a sense of the heat wave from Last summer. CC please.

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Very cute subject here. Photographically we have a few problems.. Your light was rather harsh and the sun was high in the sky. This caused you not to get an eye highlight which is extremely important for a wildlife image. As far a composition you have the rabbit tucked into the lower left corner. More room on the bottom and right side of the trame would have helped...

David Kennedy
01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Brian,
While there are compositional and BG elements that could have been addressed at the time you captured this image, by far the most important one is sun angle.
Artie teaches photographers to work "on sun angle" to eliminate unwanted shadows, capture more detail, and add catch light to the eye of the subject. It helps dramatically to photograph wildlife with the sun directly behind you (with your shadow pointed at the subject, and your subject's shadow neatly hidden behind it). Here, if you had been 90 degrees to your right, you would have been on sun angle. Of course, you would then have to have waited for the rabbit to turn parallel to you!

Jasper Doest
01-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Hi Brian,

Nice to see you posting here. I fully agree with all the useful comments Robert made. I agree that a slightly different angle would have been better in this case. However....the "on sun angle" is not a rule we always have to follow....side or back light can be really nice as well.
In the field, try to think WHY you're doing certain things the way you are doing....and try to think of other (not always better) ways of capture the same subject, while creating a different perspective. This will help improving your photography a lot! It seems you're already on the right track....I like the composition, with enough space for the rabbit to look into. It seems you used a rather short focal length to create this image (perhaps you can post some details in your next post)....which brings some detail in the background, I like that as well...it adds to the story. You used a nice low angle which brings intimacy into the photograph. So, nice work....if you'd just get a few details right, it would be great.

Best!