PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Speedlight SB-800

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
I am just curious if NIKON Speedlight SB-800 is a must model for a NIKON photographer or something else is recommended. What is your choice and why?
Any feedback is highly appreciated.
BR: Szimi

Josh O'Donnell
02-05-2008, 08:35 AM
I have both the SB-800 and SB-600. The SB-800 is almost always mounted on my D300 and I use the SB-600 only when I need a remote off camera flash. The SB-800 recycles quicker because it uses an optional 5th AA battery. I do not own an external battery pack but I assume they would both recharge equally as fast with one. The menus on the SB-800 are a little easier to use and the flash output from the SB-800 is more powerful. They are both great units but I would recommend the SB-800 over the SB-600 if you were only going to get one... I view my SB-600 as more of a secondary/backup accessory that really never comes out of my bag in the field. Also, if you go with the D3 (no built-in flash) you can use the SB-800 as a commander for the SB-600 or other SB-800s, whereas the SB-600 will not function as a commander . The D300 has a built in flash that works as a commander so when I'm in a controlled environment I routinely use both of my flash units remotely off camera. The Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) is quite versatile and easy to use.

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Great feedback. Thanks. :) What about using the new Speedlight SB-400 or the wireless Wireless Remote Speedlight SB-R200? Is the 600 worth to buy or for a secondary flash unit the SB-400 is also fine or better to say enough. I am mainly thinking of using multiple flash units in rain forest for ground moving/feeding birds.
Szimi

Josh O'Donnell
02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
I have never used the SB-400 but I have a friend who uses one and I'm not overly impressed with it... It might be decent as a light-weight walkaround flash but for bird photography I think the SB-600 would be MUCH better. As far as I know the 400 will NOT work as a remote flash, it will only work when mounted directly to the camera. It is also less powerful than either the 600 or 800 and it doesn't allow for manual operation. The SB-R200 are rings lights designed for macro work and are even less powerful than the 400. I think for what you want you'd be best suited with 600s.

Alfred Forns
02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Great feedback Josh !!!!!

Szimi you will find the Nikon flash system different from Canon I think is one of Nikon strong points It seems to balance the lighting very efficiently

Regarding the external packs I am using the 2900 AA Recycle is very fast and they are convenient Also with the fifth battery installed I can't justify the extra weight It is very quick !!!

Gyorgy Szimuly
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Great feedback Josh !!!!!

Szimi you will find the Nikon flash system different from Canon I think is one of Nikon strong points It seems to balance the lighting very efficiently

Regarding the external packs I am using the 2900 AA Recycle is very fast and they are convenient Also with the fifth battery installed I can't justify the extra weight It is very quick !!!

I will not find it different as I have never used a single Canon flash unit :D:D:D
I know it is a shame but this is true :o That's why I have so basic questions on flashes.

Szimi