PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Challeng`: Hosta

Rene Quenneville
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Windy day today, tough for macro photography. I had to crank up the ISO and give-up on the depth of field. It was a difficult day for inspiration also. Thank you for this contest, it forced me to go outside. While wandering around the house my eyes caught this interresting shape. This is a simple Hosta plant. Hope you enjoy!
Noise reduction done. S-curve and black and white conversion with some vignetting.

1/45s
f/7.1
ISO 1000
Nikon D200
Sigma 150mm Macro lens
no flash, hiding some of the sun with my left hand.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I like this Rene, the b and w gives it strong graphic appeal to me. I like the framing and the tones in this too.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I like it René very much. Great in B&W IMHO. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Anita Bower
07-06-2009, 05:11 AM
I like the strong curve mirrored by smaller curves.

Ed Vatza
07-06-2009, 05:16 AM
I have to say, Rene, that when I first looked at the image last evening I did not really like it. But as I looked at it again today, it has begun to grow on me. The black and white is fine. I liked that from the start. It is different and somewhat unexpected so I like that. But now the lines and curves are really pulling me in. It just took a little time. Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
07-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I like this very much, Rene! I was going to get down in the hostas as well this weekend but never found the time.

I really like that you took the image to black and white although I feel there is a lot of middle gray here. I wonder if you selectively chose each section and raised/lowered the tones if you might get more of a range of grays to compliment the black and white areas?

Harold Davis
07-06-2009, 02:31 PM
it almost looks like chrome! i love the conversion to b&w. agree with jules about the middle greys. if there were just a little better transition, this would be even better than it already is!!

Christopher Miller
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Very simple, elegant image. Agree that the tones could probably use a little tweaking, but like it a lot.

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Rene,
I liked the strong lines and curves of this one. Very well seen and composed!

Mike Moats
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Rene, I like the comp a lot, and think it works well as a b&w as is.

denise ippolito
07-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Rene, I think you have really come up with an interesting image here! The B&W works well here to highlight the beautiful curved lines.

Gordon Craig
07-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I have a lot of Hosta in my yard that I havn't done much with. This is a really nice perspective and the B&W adds a nice touch.