PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Challenge: Jade

Richard Lovison
07-05-2009, 05:47 PM
http://richardlovison.com/photos/contest.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Another attempt at trying to do an abstract of my favorite jade tree.

Olympus E-3
Vivitar Series 1 90-180mm macro flat field zoom with adapter
manual exposure - 1/10 sec f4.5
ISO 100
shooting time and date - 07/04/2009 13:51:34

denise ippolito
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Richard, This does have an abstract feel to it and the softness and colors work well together.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I find your image gentle and soft. Not sure if you'd agree. It looks peaceful IOW; good work. Thanks for sharing.

Anita Bower
07-06-2009, 05:16 AM
I like the blur and the shapes. My first thought was to wish you had moved the camera a bit to the left, or maybe clone some of the right side. Lovely light and colors.

Ed Vatza
07-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi Richard,

I must say first off that you have been doing some excellent work of late. I think you are really on to something here with jade plant but I just don't quite feel that you've hit the home run yet. The color is great. The pattern is good. I just think you need to work the composition a little more (Like you haven't already! ;), I know.).

Julie Kenward
07-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Richard, this is really nice. I agree with the others - the comp is just the tiniest bit "off" but it's still a very strong image! Excellent blur technique and the greens are beautiful.

Jerry van Dijk
07-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Richard, you´ve got my vote for this one! Despite the abstract, it has a great feel of depth in it due to the rounded shapes and shadows. I love also the colors. What really makes this image for me is that you can´t really tell what it is, but you immediately see that it is a nature image. That´s why I say:
" This is the winner".

- Jerry -

Richard Lovison
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I like the blur and the shapes. My first thought was to wish you had moved the camera a bit to the left, or maybe clone some of the right side. Lovely light and colors.

Thanks to eveyone for your feedback and suggestions. Back to the drawing board for me. :)

Anita,

I posted the full frame image below. I initially though it was unbalanced so I cropped a bit from the left... maybe it was bad judgment.

http://richardlovison.com/photos/contest2.jpg
© reserved 2009, Richard Lovison

Harold Davis
07-06-2009, 02:41 PM
the repost doesnt seem as crowded as the original. i think it's actually a bit stronger comp. it's darkness does evoke a feeling of sadness. that's what i get out of it.

Gordon Craig
07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I also think the repost is stronger. I very much enjoy the soft background.

Anita Bower
07-07-2009, 04:50 AM
I, also, prefer the repost. I wonder what a small crop off the right would look like. As I look at this image again, I feel the movement in it, starting off center and going left, up and right.