PDA

View Full Version : Royal Spoonbill

Paul Davey
02-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia)

Fujifilm Finepix S5600, Manual mode, 10X optical zoom at 380mm, flash
-Other technical details lost/unknown in conversion to tiff extension, and an additional file to jpg for posting

Likes: composition; light; detail in eye; captured water droplets
Dislikes: bland, unoriginal overall look; uninteresting background

Date: December 31
Conditions: Fine; late afternoon/early evening light
Post-processing: Small crop from top and bottom, straightened horizon (as seen tilted before crop)

Thanks for looking, feel free to comment.

Paul

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Paul,

You did a good job self-critiquing the image. The BG is the killer here. The bird looks great and you have eye contact and the right head turn even though he is going away from you.

My suggestion is when you have a bad BG like this, get as low as you can. This will place the BG further from the bird and blur it out more. This also gets rid of at least some of the stuff in the water. Would also be advisable to get even or a bit in front of bird when they are walking.

Alfred Forns
02-05-2008, 11:14 AM
HI Paul Agree with your assessments Lots of good things going on Number one is exposure for whites looks very good and so does the sun angle Catching the raised crest and foot dragging is also appealing

For the bg (if possible from boat) getting down lower will eliminate the current bg and render all a beautiful oof view Will turn it into a totally different image I like it just some tweaking !!!!!! Good looking bird Never seen one in person !!!

hal bruce
02-14-2008, 05:55 AM
He looks very good in his mating finery, Paul. It's an achievement to have the eye showing in these birds. Black on Black !
I have a similar shot (NSW) and more or less saved it by converting to sepia and a little sharpening. Sepia helps the BG.
eland