PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Pier sunrise 2 HDR

Dave Woeller
07-05-2009, 10:37 AM
This is another of my recent shots of the Avalon fishing pier at sunrise. It is a 5 shot HDR with mapping done in photomatix. The base image has a + and - 2 stop compensation. I'm really new to the land/sea scape arena and I'm not sure that the suns position is the best here. I really did like the way the sand was highlighted, but maybe a crop to move the sun down and right a bit would be stronger. I'm hoping the experts here will provide some needed guidance. Thanks

joel quenneville
07-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Good job on your HDR merge, this looks quite good. You have many interesting compositional elements here: you made good use the pier to frame the sun, focusing attention on the center of the frame. You also have several strong diagonal lines here and the tracks in the sand point us towards the sun. I find that the sky above the pier does not add anything to the image and would suggest that you crop it out, maybe to the point of just clipping the top left corner of the pier handrail.

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Hey Dave,
Nice job on the HDR work! Agree with Joel (nice job!) on his critique......but may leave a sliver of sky above hand rail......but either option works. Nice placement of the sun and rest of comp and colors look good too.

Dave Woeller
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you Joel and Roman for the guidance. I cropped down a bit and left just a touch above the rail as you suggested, Roman. I do agree that it does present better this way and I did also look at clipping the top of the rail. Is this about where you were suggesting? Both suggestions work so I'll have to decide where my print will go. I truly appreciate the time you've both given.

Robert Amoruso
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Dave,

HDR looks good. I would suggest cropping down right the the thicker part of the piers boardwalk to make the top edge completely black - this IMO frames the image better.

I feel that moving left and getting the sun in the center of the two vertical support posts would have provided a nice symmetry. ALso suggest cropping a bit from the right to eliminate the clipped diagonal post entering the image.

Dave Woeller
07-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Robert, Thanks for adding to the thoughts here. I see your point on the right side and the clipped post. I'll also take a look at the increased crop from the top. Right now I'm comfortable with the crop suggestion from Roman but who knows where I'll end up :D I do appreciate that you've given yet another alternative.