PDA

View Full Version : ABSTRACT CHALLENGE: Textural Abstract - Plant, Animal, Mineral

Ed Vatza
07-05-2009, 10:00 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0907_AbstractPlantAnimalMineralHDR_.jpg

OK, someone has got to start this off.

I went into this challenge with two thoughts in mind. First, I wanted to work with textures. And second, I wanted to use the theme of "Plant, Animal, Mineral". The plant kingdom is represented by tree bark; animal by goose feather and mineral by rock.

Canon 30D; Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro lens; tripod-mounted.

1/2 sec @ f/22, ISO 200; 1/3 EV; Natural light.

I found that I liked the color much better by doing a three image composite with the the other two images at +/- 2/3 stops from the original. This is what I came up with.

I had to host this image on Photobucket since even at 50% quality, it was still to big to host on BPN.

Harold Davis
07-05-2009, 10:50 AM
that's really neat, ed and an abstract i would have never thought of. the elements blend really well together and seem natural. nice job.

Julie Kenward
07-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Holy smokes, Ed! I love texture and this is dripping in the stuff! My gosh...it's really rich and full of beautiful tones and colors.

I love the silver leaf with the golden rock and then the mineral ties it all together by having a little of both in it. Wonderful image...one of your very best!

Fabs Forns
07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
What I like the most about this one is the different textures, and the color combination you chose.

Ed Vatza
07-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Harold, Jules, Fabs,

I appreciate the comments/feedback.

What can I say? Once again, it appears that I went in a different direction from the rest. The road less traveled, I guess. ;)

Anita Bower
07-06-2009, 05:30 AM
Colors and textures are fantastic! I like the different textures and how the common colors unite them. I love that you created an abstract at f22!

Richard Lovison
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree with Fabs -- love the color combination.

It's technically well done except for a tad of softness in the bark a bit up from the middle right but that's being picky.

Christopher Miller
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Great idea, Ed! The different textures go very well together, and like the complementary colors. Well done!