PDA

View Full Version : Alcatraz Prison Cells

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 09:54 AM
This is a shot of the cells three tiers high. There were three rows, A,B, and C The prison could hold up to 336 men but was never filled to capacity. Over it's history there were over 1500 men who were incarcerated here.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Here are the solitary confinement cells, never went in. Should have, but was busy taking photos.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Here is where the guards walked to check on the inmates. The keys for the cell were up here, and I guess they must have carried guns. There was one quite famous escape and it has never really been decided if the men actually made it or not.

"Frank Lee Morris and two brothers, Clarence and John Anglin, all convicted of bank robbery, escaped last night from the notorious island prison in San Francisco Bay renowned for its high level of security.
The acting warden said they put dummy heads - made of a mixture of soap, toilet paper and real hair - in their beds to fool prison officers making night-time inspections.
They then cut through the back of their cells with sharpened spoons, crawled out and onto the roof through a ventilation duct, climbed down a pipe to the ground then made their way to the shore of the island. Prison officials said they used a makeshift raft of driftwood and raincoats sewn together to make pontoons in order to float away from Alcatraz, also known as The Rock."

I am posting thes three pics together as I thought they went together. Gus I don't think you will mind.
One more to post:) tomorrow.

denise ippolito
07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Really nice sequence of shots Jackie. Very interesting to look at!! I feel like I got the tour with all your information and images!! Thankyou:)

Alfred Forns
07-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sure it took a different look with all of its residents !!! Enjoying the series !!!

Gus Cobos
07-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Love it Lady Jackie...first class accommodations all the way...did they have 24 hour room service...:eek::D:p:cool:

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
This is some spooky place Jackie. I most certainly would not want to be locked up there, nor anywhere. Thanks for taking the time providing all the additional info. :)