PDA

View Full Version : Pholiota aurivella

John Cooper
02-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Another rainforest species. Originally has a brown scaly surface but as the cap expands this brown membrane breaks up leaving remnants. The slimy surface makes it difficult to avoid some specular hot spots.

Canon EOS 3, Canon 100mm macro, Velvia 50, flash x2, 1/125 sec F 22

David Steele
02-05-2008, 01:26 AM
A lovely image John. If the hot spots worry you, an easy way to sort them out may be by some straightforward cloning work.

Mike Moats
02-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey John, another really nice looking subject, like the DOF and sharpness. Colors look good and I with David agree on a clone of the hot spot.

Jim Caldwell
02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Great capture! I've been playing around with a technique that would have helped eliminate the hotspots and as soon as I get a chance, I'm going to post the information here. It is called cross-polarization and although it takes some setup effort - it is perfect with shiny objects to cut down on hot spots!

John Cooper
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Great capture! I've been playing around with a technique that would have helped eliminate the hotspots and as soon as I get a chance, I'm going to post the information here. It is called cross-polarization and although it takes some setup effort - it is perfect with shiny objects to cut down on hot spots!

Hi Jim, yes I think I have read about this technique in one of George Lepp's books. It seemed a bit fiddly though for use in the field.

Jim Caldwell
02-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes - it certainly can be!! You also have to be careful you don't cut out too much of the reflections and make the image too flat. I worked up a rig to let me quickly add the polarizer gels to my Canon twin flash macro rig, but you still have to adjust the lens polarizer.