PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Benson, Mr Catfish

Dave Phillips
07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
this is the homeless man "Catfish" that I have posted images of before.
Converted the painted layer to a mask, that way could paint details in or out
at various opacities.....with ability to revert any portion.

Kind of throwing this one in(it is sort of slow this weekend) as I wanted to share it
while we are still fresh on the painter's theme

edit: doing some followup, the original was actually shot by a friend of mine, Billy Moore

Dave Phillips
07-05-2009, 07:01 AM
original for above, notice the oversaturated eyes used to help the DAP conversion
http://i43.tinypic.com/dgmq20.jpg

denise ippolito
07-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Dave, It looks like a true Masters painting! I like how you controlled the brush strokes for this. The details are perfectly rendered. My favorite Catfish image to date. This has been a fun week and so many members have expressed the desire to repeat it so I am going to put it on the board!!!!

Harold Davis
07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
the eyes put this one over the top for me, dave. fantastic treatment. i think mr catfish would be really proud of this.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 08:59 AM
A world weary man Dave. This really does look like a painting. I don't think anyone would know not having seen the original. I think you have really got the techinique down as Denise mentioned. The program is loads of fun, and could be a study unto itself. I hope we do this theme again too. We all have had a lot of fun.

Dave Phillips
07-05-2009, 12:02 PM
thank you friends, this was one of my fav conversions......a good bit of play

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Dave, to be honest I don't know how ANYONE gets a placing with your incredible talent and work you post. And I am serious man.

I am so sad looking at this man's "old" and weathered features, his stained moustache, his sullen sad eyes. It is an incredibly powerful portrait.

Thank you for posting this image, it really moved me!

Indranil Sircar
07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
A powerful portrait and an equally excellent treatment...

Dave Phillips
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
thanks again friends.......to hot to be out shooting, so you may be stuck with me
here in OOTB for a while

Gus Cobos
07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Love the painterly look Dave...well done...:cool: