PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Bears Pano

Bob Reimer
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
I did this one at Artie's Silver Salmon Creek Lodge IPT in August 2007. Taken with D200, 80-400VR, two shots hand-held. Stitched with Photoshop CS3 automated stitching.

We had a nice foggy morning and when I returned to the lodge I could still see the group waiting for the momma and cubs to turn around. They were too far apart for the short telephoto so I made sure I got the downed tree in the background in both shots to get something to line up on.

David Kennedy
01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Welcome, Bob!

While I would say that the image itself was stitched together pretty seamlessly, panoramas still require the same compositional guidelines as traditional image making--the rule of thirds still apply.
It works as a demonstration for what it was like to be on the IPT (and to photograph in the fog), but to be more than a snapshot it would need a strong, dominant subject and greater care with composition.

Arthur Morris
01-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey Bob, Great to see you here. David's comments are right on. A hard crop from the top improves things, but the inclusion of the o-o-f foreground grasses is hard to overcome...

later and love to you and to Barb, artie

Robert Amoruso
01-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Welcome Bob and say hi to Barb for me.

You showed this to me at the IPT and I liked it. Seeing it again yesterday I have been thinking about it and I think David was a good take on it. Being one of the photographers in the group, it brought up fond memories of the experience then. Now, I feel that compositionally, it can be approved with cropping at the top as well as at the bottom to remove the large OOF grasses. As a tighter pano, it may work better.

Thanks for posting.