PDA

View Full Version : Wind Point Lighthouse

David Kennedy
02-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Captured last February at Shoop Park, Racine, Wis. You can see only a sliver of blue from Lake Michigan--most of the shore was iced up. Also, the shadows of the two photographers (one is Dad's, the other mine) are visible, but because no one else has ever realized that they aren't the shadows of trees, I've always left them in.

7 stitched vertical frames: Canon 5D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 1/200th sec. @ f/8, ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Of course you don't have to believe me David, but I did notice your Dad's and your shadows. First thing I looked at in the image was that and how they lead you into the image and saw you guys then.

I am tempted to say I would like to see the whole tree on the left but it looks like you had more trees next to it and as such diminishing returns on trying to frame the left edge. i like the slice of the lake.

David Kennedy
02-05-2008, 12:59 PM
...I am tempted to say I would like to see the whole tree on the left but it looks like you had more trees next to it and as such diminishing returns on trying to frame the left edge...

Precisely. I originally framed it much wider and in the process of stitching I realized that the trees on the left just became a mush of branches the farther to the left I traveled, so I cropped it down to what you see here. By the time you include every tree, they detract from the image severely.

However, the point that anyone can take away is frame wider--you can crop later :)

Robert Amoruso
02-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Precisely. I originally framed it much wider and in the process of stitching I realized that the trees on the left just became a mush of branches the farther to the left I traveled, so I cropped it down to what you see here. By the time you include every tree, they detract from the image severely.

However, the point that anyone can take away is frame wider--you can crop later :)

Agreed and I figured that much.

Blake Shadle
02-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Nice image, David. I didn't notice your shadows, the composition doesn't lead my eye in that direction, and I have say... you guys look pretty treeish to me :D I love the sweeping shadows of the tree on the snow, and the clouds. You got some really nice light as well. I'd clone out that little bush thing in the shadows ;)

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Love the clouds and the Ligthhouse anchor. Did you guys bring a saw (to make a hole in the ice) and go for a polar bear style swim later?

Robert

David Kennedy
02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Love the clouds and the Ligthhouse anchor. Did you guys bring a saw (to make a hole in the ice) and go for a polar bear style swim later?

Robert

I'm not that crazy :D