PDA

View Full Version : Flume Gorge

joel quenneville
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
This photo was taken at the Flume Gorge in the White Mountains of New Hampshire just after a rainstorm. This is a wonderful place to photograph, the water cascades through a 90 ft cleft in the surrounding granite providing for some spectacular scenes and beautiful waterfalls.

In this image, I tried to emphasize how tall and massive the granite walls are. I used a slow exposure to blur the water. The overcast day made it perfect to shoot silky waterfalls.

1/8s
f/7.1
ISO 200
Nikkor 18-70mm @ 40mm
Nikon D300
Shutter Priority exposure mode

Robert Amoruso
07-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Joel,

You did well accentuating the tallness of the gorge. Shutter speed good but I would try even slower too. Do multiple exposures at different speeds to capture different looks. Fog, spray in the back adds depth.

Even on an overcast day, contrast can be high as it is here. I reposted with the following adjustements.

1) Shadow/Highlight in PSCS3 with the following settings. Shadows, 25/25/30 - Highlights, 43/41/30.
2) Curves adjustment with reverse s-curve.
3) Levels and moved midtone slider to lighten it up.

You can certainly go on and on with tonal tweaks but this gets you going. Also, a polarizer can be a big asset here to remove the highlight reflections on the rocks. If you buy one make sure to get a circular and not linear polarizer as AF will not work with linear.

More here for steps 1 and 2 above: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434.

Kobus Tollig
07-05-2009, 08:20 AM
Super well done. No offence but i like the orig more. Repost to light for me.
Image plays with my eyes. Cant decide if im going up or down hehe

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi Joel,
I like the re-post on the other hand as far as lightness......brought out some nice details. You have conveyed the narrowness and hight of the walls very well with the flow leading us through the frame and agree with Robert that playing with different SS's is the way to get different looks too. overall, very nicely composed with a nice sense of scale.

A_Maddah
07-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi joel
very nice.i like your photo and robert But my impression on new version(robert sender) a bit littel is brighten.your photo are a bit darken too

Asad.

joel quenneville
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks everybody for the comments, especially Robert. I will try out S/H, to get results probably somewhere between my original image (too dark) and Robert's repost which looks a bit too bright on my monitor (I am working from a laptop).

Kaushik Balakumar
07-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Lovely perspective - it does show the magnanimity of the cliffs on the either side.
While I liked Robert's post for bringing out more details in shadows, I might settle for something inbetween the the two.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-07-2009, 02:22 AM
I like the comp very much and would also think a mix of both posts at top would yield best results for my taste. :)

Dave Woeller
07-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I'll cast another vote for a version in between the two posts above. It is truly a dramatic image. Hope you kept the equipment dry :eek: