PDA

View Full Version : In-Camera Settings if shooting RAW

Joerg Rockenberger
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I guess my question at the end of the previous thread I posted re in-camera color space (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40178) was not seen. So, allow me to repeat.

Shooting RAW the general advice is to shoot to the right as much as possible in contrast to shooting JPG. Now, the in-camera image display/histogram is as far as I know derived from the embedded jpg which is generated using the in-camera settings for color space, white balance and picture style.

What is the best combination for the latter to make sure to capture the best picture quality and/or the most information? Changing picture styles from Standard to Landscape (or even Neutral) clearly affects the histogram and hence one might choose different exposures in order to shoot to the right.

Thanks in advance. Best, JR

Jim Neiger
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
John,

The most important setting is contrast. Setting this to low will give you a better representation of the lighter tones in the RAW file. This allows you to expose a little closer to the right. I learned this from Chas when he visited here and went on my boat a couple of years ago. If you really want to tweak this to the limit, do a search on UNIWB on the various bird/camera forums. l played with UNIWB for a bit, but it was juyst too little bang for the buck.

Joerg Rockenberger
07-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks Jim for replying and the hint re reducing contrast. I googled Uniwb and one of the first hits was your thread at naturescapes. It sounds interesting but the idea of seeing everything green on the camera display is a bit odd. I understand why but I am not sure I'd get used to it.

JR

Jim Neiger
07-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Jim for replying and the hint re reducing contrast. I googled Uniwb and one of the first hits was your thread at naturescapes. It sounds interesting but the idea of seeing everything green on the camera display is a bit odd. I understand why but I am not sure I'd get used to it.

JR

IMO, it just wasn't worth the effort.

Charles Glatzer
08-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I shot side by side with a one of the biggest proponents for UNIWB, and came up with exactly the same exposure simply using spot metering off the snow! I see no need whatsoever to use thie UNIWB method, nor do I care to have to correct every image thereafter in post-production to eliminate the green cast.

Best,

Chas