PDA

View Full Version : long exposure

Rene Quenneville
07-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I like the look of this little fall. The sharpness and depth of field are not optimal but I would like to have your opinion on the overall composition and the exposure time vs the water appearance.
Please feel free to share your point of view.

1/4s
f/11
ISO 400
56mm
Nikon D200

Robert Amoruso
07-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Rene,

I guess I know now where you guys have been. Horizontal works well here but I feel something got cropped off the top because you did not want it in the image. Feels cramped up top clipping some of the tops of the big rocks. I can see how you framed this with a big rock in each corner but the rock in the LR FG is very dominate, OOF and catches the eye but not in a good way.

Personally I would go for a lower speed here.

For processing I suggest the same basic tweaks I did on Joel's image.

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi Rene,
Te flow has interest top and bottom....but too much negative space in the middleground so the composition feel broken up. The waters appearance will be dictated by the strenght of flow as much as SS......so the same area will vary as to the waters appearance with the amount of water going over. You didn't say if you used a polariser....that helps reduce much of the glare present on wet rocks and will further slow down the SS......try different SS's of the same scene and make a mental note of the flow (fast/slow/high).......then decide which SS you like best when you get home.

Eric Virkler
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Rene, Looks to me like a polarizer and a longer shutter speed would have been beneficial. Agree with Robert that the top appears a bit cramped, same with bottom. A little more room would allow the water in the center cascade to flow off the image. Thanks for sharing.

Eric Virkler
Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)