PDA

View Full Version : Sea Holly (Eryngium)

Anita Bower
07-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Taken on an overcast day using Michael Brown's "cram method" (http://macroartinnature.wordpress.com/2008/10/08/photography-grass-the-focal-cram-how-i-approach-this-subject/).
Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f5.6, 1/200, ISO 200, pattern metering mode, manual exposure, manual focus using live view, auto WB; tripod; natural light, outdoors; PP: PS7 and Elements 7.

Keith Carver
07-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Love the COMP, EXP, BG. The flower head seems a little soft. Maybe could use a little greater DOF? But overall I love it, Anita!

Thomas Herou
07-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Beautiful BG and soft pastel colors.
Maybe a little too bright for my taste,but the feel is lovely.

Julie Kenward
07-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Anita, you know I'm going to click on that link! This is really beautiful. I think you could do a few more small tweaks and it would be a real show stopper.

I would selectively sharpen the flowerhead just a bit more. The feel of the image is soft but I think the flowerhead could still use a bit more to capture and hold the viewer's eye. I'd also tone down the one bright spot by about half. I think it's great that the "light" is there but maybe not quite so bright. I'd either use the clone/darken/30% trick or take the eye dropper, sample one of the light gray/green areas, grab a soft brush, use it at 30-50% to paint over all or most of that area.

It's got a great feel to it and the color palette is sumptuous!

Anita Bower
07-05-2009, 05:05 AM
I appreciate the feedback. That is the main reason I participate in this forum--to get constructive critiques that will improve my photos. :-) Jules, thanks ever so much for the specifics of how to achieve the results you suggest. I am learning so much from you!

Harold Davis
07-05-2009, 11:02 AM
i love the softness and the pastel colors. i think it is well done and really like the feel as presented. maybe a repost would change my mind. one thing i think would have made it even better is to have had the bright area on the upper right be on the upper left instead. therefore, spotlighting the flower instead of the leaves. may have been a matter of just panning right or moving left? nicely done, regardless!

Jackie Schuknecht
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Saw this earlier and I think it is really lovely Anita. The colours, placement in the frame. I guess more DOF would have been ideal, but I think it is really nice just the way it is.