PDA

View Full Version : Just Out of the Nest

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
This White Ibis in fresh juvenal plumage was photographed at Alafia Banks on my Tuesday trip with James Shadle aboard the Hooptie Deux. The image was created with the tripod-mounted Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 stop: 1/125 sec. at f/5.6. I used AI Servo AF with the sensor just left of the central sensor to move the bird back in the frame. Thanks as always to James for the trip.

Don't be shy; all coments are welcome.

Art Kornienko
07-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Very nice to see the Ibis, not sure about the whites, especially to the left in the sand, and the sharpness too, was this a heavy crop, it must have been hard on the HD at 1/125.

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Very nice to see the Ibis, not sure about the whites, especially to the left in the sand, and the sharpness too, was this a heavy crop, it must have been hard on the HD at 1/125.

Hi Art, Thanks for your comments. There is a smattering of hot pixels in the posted JPEG (but none in the master TIFF) and none in the sand. They must have been generated during the JPEG conversion via an action. The image, which is pretty much full frame, looks perfectly sharp to me from here. What is the HD that you are referring to?

Jackie Schuknecht
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Hooptie Deux Artie:) Looks very sharp and well exposed to me. I like the HA and the framing. I just find the darker greenery in the BG a little distracting though. Maybe I am being too picky.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi Artie, I see you use AI Servo AF for this, I use AI Servo AF for all my bird photography. Do you use One Shot for stationary subject? Thanks in advance for the answer.

I'd refer you keep the bg as it, I think it looks naturally that way.

Art Kornienko
07-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Artie, Hooptie Deux of course. Looking at it again, on my monitor (I was using another one the first time) the white are very good, I should have know better.

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Artie, I see you use AI Servo AF for this, I use AI Servo AF for all my bird photography. Do you use One Shot for stationary subject? Thanks in advance for the answer. I'd refer you keep the bg as it, I think it looks naturally that way.

Hi Sinh, Welcome to BPN and thanks for your membership support! I use One-Shot on occasion. Probably should have done it here as with the low contrast I had only one sharp one.... In low light with a stationary bird, One-Shot is likely best. For moving subjects of course you want to be in AI Servo AF.

David Roach
07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Just as with your spoonbill, it's cool to see the juvies with shorter beaks. Looks plenty sharp to me and I love the composition.

Kobus Tollig
07-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Great comp and i like the DOF. Also have a nice 3D feel to it. Well done

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-04-2009, 03:51 AM
I like the composition and the color range in the BG. Congrats Maestro. ;) Did I say perfect HA?