PDA

View Full Version : What should I fix here?

George DeCamp
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
http://www.decamp.net/bpn/florida_0187.jpg

OK your turn!

Would like the new members to critique me here.....what should I fix here there are a couple problems. There is no right or wrong answer just what you like. Remember your ideas will change as you learn more and your tastes will also change but good to get started now really looking and putting down your thoughts.

I am on the road in Florida this week and made this image this morning in Flamingo in the Everglades. I was in my car and stuck the lens out the window and held it in my hands with my elbows on the window opening....a little heavy with a 600mm lens.

Don't be shy....go for it I promise I won't critique your critique! :p

Nikon D3, 600VR, x1.7, f8, 1/1250, Hand Held elbows on car.

Richard Kowalski
02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
OK, I'll bite...

First, if it is full frame, I'd consider a square crop and if not, some additional room front and back, but less sky. Next, the whites are hot and blacks, including the eye, are too dark, so some highlight/shadow adjustment ins in order. Third, the perch is very busy. I'd remove some of the bg that is out of focus. The eye looks sharp, but the tail feathers are soft, so next time a bit more DoF would be helpful. I don't think you can selectively sharpen the tail, but I'm always amazed by what those who are talented and experienced in PS can do...

Richard

Judd Patterson
02-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey George, nice to see a current image from you from Florida! That's a nice looking Red-shouldered Hawk...and not quite as pale as some individuals of the Florida subspecies. I agree that the blacks are just a bit too dark, but the white don't look blown to me. I do think that you might want to warm those white/highlights just a bit as they appear a little cool...laptop editing at work! I ran into Fabs/Alfred on Sunday and talked about your visit...will try to give you a call after work tomorrow to touch base! Later...

Nonda Surratt
02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi George!!!

Hope you are having a grand time. Nice hawk and the 600 on elbows:eek:

My first impression is the bird just doesn't look comfortable in the frame. Other nits covered except there seems to be a lack of feather detail in some areas I think there should be?

Lorraine De Aguiar
02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
I,m not experienced enough to give critique, but what I might have done is to give a bit more space on the left and right side. And that twig in the background interrupts the flow of the photograph. I agree with Nonda, the hand holding a 600mm ... wow.

That's my 2 cents..
Lorraine

Alfred Forns
02-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Great critiques !!!! Maybe after all are in we can implement suggestions and come up with a final image !!!! Good going George See you tomorrow !!!!

Blake Shadle
02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Some very good suggestions here. George, this is an excellent idea. Anyone who is reading this and feels that they might be "too new" or "inexperienced" to write a critique, this is your forum! We're here to learn. Give it a shot. I'm going to wait for a few more comments before I leave mine.

Amanda Reed
02-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Wow fun and scary to critique George! I agree with the previous posts: more room on the sides especially in front of the bird so that there is room to follow the bird's gaze. And now that I've learned more about sharpening and cloning (thanks to this list, Artie and others) I would work to bring more detail to the eye and I would clone out the branches behind the bird. Would a faster shutter speed have prevented the softness in the tail feathers? Or is that better fixed with more depth of field?

George DeCamp
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Excellent suggestions, I will wait another day and try the suggestions, remember I am no PS guru though.....

alaind
02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Here is a quick attempt to 'bolster' that picture:

http://web.mac.com/alain19355/iWeb/Site/NikonCafe_files/florida_0187.jpg

- Alain.

Blake Shadle
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Wow fun and scary to critique George! I agree with the previous posts: more room on the sides especially in front of the bird so that there is room to follow the bird's gaze. And now that I've learned more about sharpening and cloning (thanks to this list, Artie and others) I would work to bring more detail to the eye and I would clone out the branches behind the bird. Would a faster shutter speed have prevented the softness in the tail feathers? Or is that better fixed with more depth of field?

Hi Amanda! Don't be afraid of George, he doesn't bite ;) On a stationary subject 1/1250th is more than enough shutter speed. You'll need to stop down (smaller hole, bigger number) your lens to allow for more depth of field, which will solve the problem you mentioned.

Amanda Reed
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks Blake!