PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Gray Kangaroo

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Photographed a couple of miles from home in western Sydney. This is a wild EGK. I sneaked up on a small group using a dry creekbed for cover in full ghillie outfit on a freezing July morning last year to photograph them. Sadly light was overcast. This is typical habitat locally and I kind of like how the shrubs framed the kangaroo.

30D, 300/4L IS, 1.4x, HH, ISO800, f/5.6, 1/400th, 430EX and beamer, setting cannot be recalled. Probably -1.

Cropped a tiny bit.

All comments welcome and appreciated. :)

Robert Amoruso
07-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Akos,

I like how you got his body and head in the clear and nice and sharp. The tree on the left BG and bush on the right BG frame him well.

You have a magenta/red color cast and too high contrast. I reposted using a reverse s-curve (more here http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434) to lower contrast and in PS used selective color to adjust colors. Not to sure I like the final color distribution but the reverse s-curve made a big difference.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Robert,
Thank you for taking the time looking and explaining what you have done to the image. Your PP work is awesome and it made ALL the difference I would have wanted for it, yet didn't even think of exploring that reverse s curve option. Again, thank you! :)

Alfred Forns
07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Re post looks good !!! :)

I like how you got the head clear of distracting bg elements and the pose !!! Nice Roo M8t :)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for lookin' Al. :)

Bruce Enns
07-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey Akos! I like the comp, exposure and direct eye contact in your kangaroo, and Robert's repost fixes the contrast and slight colour cast. Good stuff!

Cheers!
Bruce

Sabyasachi Patra
07-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree with Robert's repost. I like the pose. It is good that you found him in an opening.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2009, 01:50 PM
great setting in natural habitat and good on you for sneaking close! repost is an improvement!

Stu Bowie
07-06-2009, 01:57 AM
I like the alert pose, with the direct eye contact. Nicely framed, and the repost works well. I didnt realise these guys are so close to the cities.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I like the alert pose, with the direct eye contact. Nicely framed, and the repost works well. I didnt realise these guys are so close to the cities.

Stuart,

I live near the top left corner, marked with a RED spot - often see wild Roos around there and in that N-S band.

I work near the center of the picture marked with a YELLOW spot and I often see them in the grounds of the major water reservoir.

We are sort of lucky Down Under. Glad we don't have lions this close mate. :D