PDA

View Full Version : Long, Scarred, Boar

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 07:40 PM
This two frame stitched pano was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/5.6.

Coastal Brown Bears are actually grizzlies. This old boar was photographed in Katmai National Park in AK. See the Bulletins for info on the trip this September.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Harshad Barve
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
He looks old Warrior with few scars on nose,
Looks very calm in this pic
the stiching is awesome,
All in all I loved everything about this image

HArshad

Mike Tracy
07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
That face conjures up lots of stories. Most notably a once dominant bear who has lost his alpha standing in the range and is reflecting on his once powerful status. Well done and I like the prone position. Seeing his claws is a nice bonus.

I usually take a minimalist approach in removing objects but find the little rock competing for attention and adding nothing to the comp.

Alfred Forns
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I like the contrast of the old warrior and the pretty setting !!! Great idea on the stitching !!!!

Bruce Enns
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I love this one Artie, it looks a bit like he's contemplating how he got to this point...the scars show that life is a bit tougher than his current pose might convey. All the techs are of course perfect, and the pano teaches what a master does when the lens is too long for the subject. Great stuff!

Cheers!
Bruce

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Mike, I struggled with that rock. I, actually we, Linda Robbins and I worked hard to add canvas below left. I originally had a bit more room below the rock. At that time I was fine with it. But now it is too close to the frame edge. I gotta do something with it....

Sabyasachi Patra
07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi Artie,
Nice position. The claws are out. Is it normal for the claws to remain open? The rock draws attention but not a deal breaker. Some more space below the rock would have been better. This image will also work with just the front portion of the bear. With the stitching you can print it big.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

A_Maddah
07-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Hi Arthur (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/member.php?u=7)
very nice.the bear had gone to think that he had young time.

Asad

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-03-2009, 02:07 AM
THis is powerful Artie. Really, those scars. The stretch and surroundings. To me it conveys an old warrior, who had accepted that time has come.

Nice stitch work there Sir.

Gerald Kelberg
07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
Wonderful creature and I love the idea of the stitched image - perfectly executed. Those scars look pretty recent - maybe his advances were not entirely appreciated by a sow. Ursus not-so-horribilis!

Gerald

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Hi Sabya,

re:

Nice position. The claws are out. Is it normal for the claws to remain open?

Do not know...

The rock draws attention but not a deal breaker. Some more space below the rock would have been better.

Agree.

Mike Tracy
07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Hi Artie,
The claws are out. Is it normal for the claws to remain open?

Unlike cats with the cheetah being the exception all true bears have non-retractable claws.

Arthur Morris
07-03-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks Mike. I do know that when they are resting or sleeping we do not always see them (even though they are "out."

Paul Lagasi
07-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Its nice seeing an animal so calm and peaceful in his surroundings....I know its been said but that rock... as your eyes scan from the bears faces and scans right...my eye seems to go right to the rock...wierd...stitching work's I've tried it a few times

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2009, 04:32 AM
really does look like an old-timer who's seen and experienced much about to throw in the towel and accept his fate. great stitching job, rock doesn't bother that much for me as the whole surrounding overall is very clean. super image Artie!

Kiran Khanzode
07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Very nice low angle, Art ! The bear is in a very thoughtful mood. I like the pano stitch.

I notice that you overexposed by +2/3 even though you had quite a low SS of 1/320 (for the 800mm lens) . Is that to control noise? Do you usually overexpose at high ISO's ? Your insight will be very useful for me.

Thx,
Kiran

Arthur Morris
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi Kiran,

re:

Very nice low angle, Art ! The bear is in a very thoughtful mood. I like the pano stitch.

Thank you sir.

I notice that you overexposed by +2/3 even though you had quite a low SS of 1/320 (for the 800mm lens).

The new 800 f/5.6 has an improved IS system. !/320 sec. is relatively fast. I have made sharp images at speeds as slow as 1/6 sec.

Is that to control noise?

In part.

Do you usually overexpose at high ISO's ? Your insight will be very useful for me.

The ISO has little to do with it. I always expose so as to have data in the fifth box of the histogram, usually as far to the right as possible without clipping it. I suggest that you get a copy of ABP II, subscribe to Bulletins, and spend some time in the ER here on BPN. :)

Sid Garige
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Fantastic details Artie. Very well composed image.

Stu Bowie
07-06-2009, 02:03 AM
An amazing looking bear. These guys are so huge, and even lying down one can see how large this fellow is. Those battle scars certainly show he has been in a few scraps. Thanks for sharing Artie.

Arthur Morris
07-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Thanks all. By popular demand, here is the bear with the rock QMed away.