PDA

View Full Version : Long-billed Curlew

Mike Milicia
07-02-2009, 07:29 PM
EOS-1D Mk III, 500mm f/4 + 1.4x II, 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 400
About 80% of Full Frame (cropped from top and bottom and a tiny bit from the left)

Hopefully we'll get a break from the rain this weekend and I can finally get back out for some local photography.
In the meantime, here's another from Morro Bay, CA back in March.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques ! <!-- / message -->

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Not sure what I think of the upper BG elements. However, I love the water dripping off the feet, the prey and slightly blurred wings. All come together well in the end. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ramon M. Casares
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I love the action here, the light is nice, colors and detail are nice also, BG works for me but of course that if the wave was not there it would've improved the image IMO. I am not crazy about the wing position here, specially because the bird's right wing merges with the head and also complicates the composition.
Congratulations though!

Aidan Briggs
07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Great light, action, and pose. As mentioned the wave in the BG is distracting, but having been to that beach numerous times, I know how hard it is to get an image without a wave in the BG. I would like to see some space in front to balance the comp.

Paul Ricciardi
07-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I feel your pain about the weather...it's been disgusting here in CT
Nice capture, love the water streaming out behind the foot, and the crab in bill is a great addition
BG is a tiny bit distracting but the great action more than makes up for that nit pick

Fabs Forns
07-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Ramon nailed the critique. Not an easy bird to get, though getting him in flight and with a catch is very exciting.
Love that foot dripping water :)

Bruce Enns
07-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I agree 100% with Fabs and Ramon...given that, I would love to have this image in my collection! Congrats!

Cheers!
Bruce

Stu Bowie
07-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Great timing with the take off. Love these type of images. Good sharp detail, and his catch a bonus. I agree, a better head separation would have been good, but still well captured Mike.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I guess this is the first one I see posted here. Thanks for sharing.
The bird is quite lovely, but the bg needs some rotation.