PDA

View Full Version : White-throated Hummingbird IV

Ramon M. Casares
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, here's one more of the same day, this time, another subject of the same species, and what I like about this image is the nectar showing all over his bill. Hope you like it. Enjoy!

1/1000Seg.
F6.3
+2/3
ISO 1000
300mm f4
Mark II
Handheld
Feeder was removed with PS

Ilija Dukovski
07-02-2009, 06:34 PM
You've got the polen, head all in focus including the beak and nice eye contact. Great stuff.
The BG is excellent as before and wing position is very nice here too. Agree with Peter about a bit of detail
in the white would be nice.
I really enjoy the series!

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Amigo
Incredible BG and bird. The bird looks spectacular! Great comp. Thanks for sharing.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice nectar, bird, SAT, BKGR, and image. That bird would just not give you the full downstroke....

Ramon M. Casares
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice nectar, bird, SAT, BKGR, and image. That bird would just not give you the full downstroke....

I have a few with the better wing position but the HA are not great so... I'll have to go back I guess :)

Mike Tracy
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Ditto on the whites. The wing position might be a minor point of debate to some but doesn't bother me. The sharpness of the bird and vibrancy throughout the frame make this such a pleasing image to view. I think it also demonstrates that gorgeous hummingbird photos are possible with out multiple flash setups.

David Roach
07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
LOve the details, colors, BG and "dirty" beak!!!! Congrats!!!

Harshad Barve
07-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Lovely shot Ramon,Love the bird, BG, and super exposure

Harshad

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 07:28 PM
The wing position might be a minor point of debate to some but doesn't bother me.

Would you prefer this wing position to seeing the wings in either the full downstroke or the full upstroke position with complete dorsal or underwing detail?

Ramon M. Casares
07-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Artie, I agree with you about the wing position here is not the best, I like it but it could be better, maybe you miss this post ( http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38333 ), here's the first image I've posted here of this sesion in Los Pecanes Inn. The wing position there IMO is the ideal as you can see the nice detail of the belly, the full downstroke position is nice but this species wings are not that interesting so I rather the upstroke position better with this particular species :)

Mike Tracy
07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Would you prefer this wing position to seeing the wings in either the full downstroke or the full upstroke position with complete dorsal or underwing detail?

Probably full downstroke with this image. In context I have limited experience photographing these birds hence I would be happy with this almost ideal wing position if I had photographed him / her.

Arthur Morris
07-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the link to the other image Ramon. I posted a comment there.

DarrenMcKenna
07-03-2009, 12:03 AM
I think the white is a little bit hot and although the wing position is not ideal it is acceptable. I would like to see the inclusion of a flower, this image tells me he was at a feeder. You have very nice light and wonderful detail here. Congratulations

darrenmckenna.com (http://www.darrenmckenna.com/)

Fabs Forns
07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Nice diagonal pose in killer BG. Bird is very sharp and colorful, way to go.
Would they have the up or down stroke while they are hovering at the feeder?

Stu Bowie
07-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Hi Ramon, both wing positions work for me, swept back, or extended forward. I prefer this image as I find it a bit sharper, and the BG is slightly darker. The beak is more interesting in this one too. Congrats on another outstanding image.

Kobus Tollig
07-03-2009, 02:26 AM
I would add some space at the top or even try it portrait crop. Super image with great colours and detail. Well done

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh my ! This one is lovely Ramon. lovely bird and one of the best backgrounds I have seen in a while. I also second the opinion that there should be more room at the top.

Ramon M. Casares
07-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Nice diagonal pose in killer BG. Bird is very sharp and colorful, way to go.
Would they have the up or down stroke while they are hovering at the feeder?

Hi Fabs, yes they do, and it is actually the best moment to capture, not only because of the wing position but also because there is a tiny instant were the wings stop moving and one has the chance to get them preety sharp and well frozen. But, as I wasn't using a multi-flash set, catching that exact instant depended more on luck than anything else.

Juan Carlos Vindas
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Muchos y muy buenos comentarios arriba.

I have nothing more to add but I find this image to be a great one. Love the BG and combination of green and white. jc