PDA

View Full Version : View of Exercise Yard

Jackie Schuknecht
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
This is the view of the exercise yard at Alcatraz facing east towards the bay and Angel Island in the BG which is uninhabited.

"Angel Island is rich in local history. The Miwoks used it for thousands of years before the Spaniards arrived. Ayala Cove was the staging area for the earliest water-based exploration of the bay area in 1775. Following many years of Spanish control of the island, it served as both a military base and the site of two government facilities (Quarantine and Immigration Stations) for nearly 100 years starting in the mid-1800s. Many of the buildings from these times are still standing, and docent-led tours are available. " Now it is a state park.

I still have a few more to post of Alcatraz, the cell blocks, and a few others.

denise ippolito
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Jackie, Fascinating stuff-love all the history too!!!You really did get alot out of that tour!:)

Katherine Enns
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I love images like this, and have been sort of wandering around wondering what to do with mine. Fortunately I think I can post them here. Maybe. I watched a documentary on Alcatraz recently, the one about the guys who tried to escape by raft. Always wanted to photograph it. This image captures some of the incredibly dismal feelings of being incarcerated there. But then the tour group in the middle reminds me to my relief its a park now. Much better than tearing it down and making it into a condominium complex!! (i.e Crease Clinic for the criminally insane in BC).

Kat

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Incarcerated with a view! What a place. I'd love to visit the USA sometime in my life. THere so many places there I am wanting to see. Angel Island? What a beautiful name!

Gus Cobos
07-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Love the view Lady Jackie,
This is a very lonely place, imagine trying to escape and swimming in that frigid water...:eek::D:cool:

Alfred Forns
07-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Jackie I've seen that same view in movies :)

Thanks for the info on Angel Island !!!

Mark Fuge
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Very good series. Thanks Jackie.

Jackie Schuknecht
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mark have two or three more still to post, thanks for your comment. I have enjoyed presenting these places.