PDA

View Full Version : Redeeming the Cosmos (HDR)

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Okay - big words in my title. I'm not sure I'll be able to redeem my previous cosmos post (Artie! ;)) with this one, but I am looking for some help, assistance and guidance here.

This was taken on the same morning as my previous post, but on the other side of the road. My shots taken individually were quite bland for me, but I've just started toying with Photomatix, and on the day I did take multiple exposures to be able to toy with one day when I got brave enough to attempt HDR.

My old tripod was unfortunately very unreliable, so this is only a 2-shot HDR since the 3rd shot isn't aligned well enough with these 2. Please help me, since I am pleased with the overall look and feel of this, but the image came out VERY noisy, and I won't be able to print it larger than A4, even though it is full frame 10MP.

How should I go about working with the photo in Photomatix to minimise the noise??? Also feel free to comment on composition, PP work, etc. I did do some selective NR on the BG.

your help is appreciated!

Kobus Tollig
07-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Its got potential but need work. Post the 2 orig images here....same small jpg....ill do blending and tell you what i did.....if you want to

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2009, 02:38 PM
thanks Kobus.

here they are...

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
2nd one...

Kobus Tollig
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Ok this was a 2min job. The point is just the blending.
What you do is...
in Photoshop you open both images.
The light one i made even lighter
The you take your arrow tool click on the light one. hold left shift and drop it on the dark one. If 3 images drop 2 on one..
Then you close the ones you not working with....you wil have one with 1 or 2 extra layers. in this case 1
Then for the layer you create a mask. After that you take the gradient tool. Drag it from the top of the image down...play around with it a few times till you like the result. Flatten and add some levels..
Thats it
Any questions bud you can just ask:D

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
thanks bud. will phone you.
I think my ideal image here would be a mix between my blend and your blend. how to get to that will be the fun part...:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Good work Kobus and Morkel, I think the base image and idea are great. Work on it mate! Let's see what you get. :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Morkel and all,
Nice work playing around with this one to try and improve. Kobus is close(doesn't lloked lined up on thehorizon building?) so a bit more work will help. I like the premise but will offer a few other comp suggestions. For me the sun is a bit close to the right edge.....doesn't have to be in the ROT position but now it feels like it is leaving the frame. 2 stacked split ND filters would have helped to make this possible in 1 frame and you didn't post the f-stop used (please post all the specs you have)....but going to f22 would have made the starburst more prominant.....but may have affected the FG flowers with movement. I like the clouds and do wonder if another vantage point may have allowed the path/gap?? to lead us into the frame more and towards the sun but definitely worth investigating if you get a return chance.....now the tripod......probably the single most important tool to a landscaper......so chose one wisely......sturdy is the key.
Looking forward to your other endeavours.

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Roman, thanks for your thoughts. Here is my attempt at reworking using layer masks and gradients.
Settings were actually:
f22 @ 1/40 SS @ ISO 200, pattern metering, 18mm focal length
Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS

The comp, I know now, could have been better re the sun as you mentioned. I wish I could get this sky as vivid as the original post. This was the only place along that stretch of road where the grass was short enough to see the horizon over. Hopefully this coming rainy season it will look differently as it's close to home.

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Morkel,
Thanks for posting the specs! I had a bit of time (doing bathroom renovation)....so decided to try something for myself. I don't usually do this much PP work....but am always game for trying something new. I took the darker version and made the sky close to your original post. I then took the lighter version and tweaked the levels and contrast with selective dodging and burning.......just duplicated the lower layer and dragged it over the nice sky version......some edge clean up (including the distant buildings....but your call)...and viola! Best I could do so and saved at 70 quality. let me know your thoughts. I'm off to grout the shower!

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2009, 03:36 PM
thanks for your efforts Roman! I appreciate you taking your precious time helping a novice like me :)
your version is more what I had in mind for this shot. Will do it properly on the big file myself now using your methods. those 'buildings' are actually clusters of trees - will see if I keep them or not.

thanks again - this is what forums like BPN are about.