PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Coral with Shrimp

Bruce Enns
07-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Sounds almost like dinner! Various very small species of shrimp seemed to inhabit every bubble coral that I came across will diving in Indonesia. I don't have an ID for these little guys, but they put on some good poses, coming out onto the 'porch' and checking things out in the neighborhood. I found these at the Waitii Teluk reef near Wakatobi Dive Resort in Sulawesi, Indonesia. I would have liked the lower shrimp to be as sharp as the upper one...a lower shooting angle may have worked, but I don't think the perspective would have been as good.

Canon Rebel XT in Ikelite housing with DS125 and DS50 strobes, Canon EF-S 60mm macro, ISO 200, 1/200s, f/18

Comments and critique are very welcome and appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Cheers!
Bruce

Jay Gould
07-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Very cool Bruce, when were you at that heavenly spot - Wakatobi. We were there last year and we are going again October 2010. Cheers, Jay

Bruce Enns
07-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Jay! September 2006...fabulous diving! Lucky you to go again next year. Don't know if I'll ever go again, if I can still get my ear to equalize, I would like to try a dedicated photography live-aboard.

Cheers!
Bruce

Jay Gould
07-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Bruce, we did a wonderful ten days liveaboard dive trip as part of visiting Indonesia last year aboard Peter Hughes' Paradise Dancer. You can see the images posted on our travel blog. Cheers,

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Bruce,
I cannot believe you haven't been on a liveaboard yet!

The image is magic of course. Well captured indeed.

Fabs Forns
07-02-2009, 04:45 AM
What an impressive image, the colors and the composition really make it stand out!

Julie Kenward
07-02-2009, 07:22 AM
I totally agree with Fabs - the colors and the translucency of the shrimp is wonderful! Beautiful composition and a great look at something we don't get to see very often. Lovely work!

Thomas Herou
07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Fantastic pastel colors,and a very nice composition.

Alfred Forns
07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow !!! Big Time Impressive !!! One of the best two shrimp combo I've seen !!!

Katherine Enns
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I just want to point out, if Bruce has not in previous posts, that these little creatures are about 1 cm long at the most and very hard to see. Watching Bruce take these photographs underwater is incredible, he does not touch the reef or move a thing to take them.

BTW we hope to go to Honduras this winter, but there has been a coup there, so we are a bit doubtful. Anyone with experience in bird photography in Honduras, please post your advice of good outfits to book with or locations to visit. We were thinking of 7 days diving and about 7 days birding (and other photography).

Kat

Jay Gould
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
BTW we hope to go to Honduras this winter, but there has been a coup there, so we are a bit doubtful. Anyone with experience in bird photography in Honduras, please post your advice of good outfits to book with or locations to visit. We were thinking of 7 days diving and about 7 days birding (and other photography).

Hi, since you two/too are such avid divers, the next time you make the journey to the South Pacific, check out Sorido Bay (http://www.iriandiving.com/Resort-Sorido-Bay.html). This place is isolated magic!! Diving for serious divers.

Katherine Enns
07-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Thank you Jay. This looks lovely. I wish I made more money....sigh!

Bruce Enns
07-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments. Shrimp of any kind on anemones, coral, fish or any other animals are absolutely on my short list of cool subjects!

Cheers!
Bruce

PS anyone want to buy a great old house on the confluence of the Kootenay and Columbia rivers? ;-)

Alfred Forns
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
.. you guys are going to the Bay Islands? Neat !!