PDA

View Full Version : Callanish Stones

Paul Lagasi
07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Normally we hear about Stonehenge, east of London, a site difficult to get near, and photograph.

This is a panorama of 5 photos, I took in Callanish, Scotland (on the Isle of Lewis) of the Callanish Stones.
The site was used around 2600 BC to 2900 BC, the centre stone is roughly 5 metres high and from the air the stones form a rough cross.

It was easy to photograph, not many people around. You were allowed to walk amongst the stones. The trick was to get low enough, so the houses around the stones were hidden.
Not sure if black lines work...but they seem to help the image IMO....Paul

D300
105 macro
f/13
1/640
iso-640
Used CS4 Photomerge
to make panorama

Mark Fuge
07-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Nice shot. Would be nice to have a little room on the sides and top.

Not sure about the top and bottom bands. I personally would remove them and put a single band around the image, about 1/4 the width of the bands. That would form the boundaries of the image. Just my preference, as you might note on my images I like to put a frame around them.

I find the raw images look unfinished. You don't need a full frame, but a narrow black accent border I think would make this better.

Robert Amoruso
07-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Interesting image Paul or an interesting formation - structure of the rocks. I would prefer not to have seen the left most stone clipped.

Good move on going low to eliminate the buildings. I like the grass FG but would like to see more room at the top. To me the top and bottom borders constrain the image and make it feel cramped.

Paul Lagasi
07-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks Robert and Mark....I'll try and rework this image...as I said I used CS4 photomerge....I hand held the camera and took over twenty photos from same vantage point....I may be able to salvage the clipped stone..thanks for suggestions..I guess the borders have to go or frame the image...

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Paul,
Robert covered my thoughts well. another vote for no border or just a slim one all around will suffice. If you can save the edge of rock, this will turn out quite interesting as you have pretty good seperation among the stones.