PDA

View Full Version : Overlook Mountain

David DesRochers
07-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Took this shot the first weekend in June at Overlook Mountain in the Catskills. 40D on Gitzo tripod, ISO 200, 17 - 85 mm Lens at 28 mm, f 11 1/30 sec. two stop ND filter, mirror lock up.

Fabs Forns
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Lovely sky and layers in the mountains. I believe it would benefit form a curves adjustment popping the midtones.
Thanks for sharing this one :)

Robert Amoruso
07-02-2009, 08:04 PM
David,

I really love this. THe dark green trees in the FG, hazy trees in the BG and rich/subtle color in the sky and clouds. Agree with Fabs on the contrast but suggest Local Contrast Enhancement. See here for more info http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434.

In the repost I used a USM setting of 20/50/0. You can mask the FG trees and clouds to reduce/eliminate the affect there and use opacity as well to affect strenght. Do on BG layer and then create a layer mask on it.

Going back and forth from a download to my computer, to PS and Save for Web and the upload amped up the saturation. You may want to do that.

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey Dave,
Nice flow and feel to with interesting play of light and shadow. I like Robert's contrast boost and will only add that I may have wanted a bit less FG gase and some more of the sky as it has more interest for me than the FG. Nicely exposed and nice use of the split too!

David DesRochers
07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Thank you everyone. Robert's edit really did the trick.