PDA

View Full Version : Marbled Godwit

Mike Milicia
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
EOS 50D, 500mm f/4 + 1.4x II, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 400
Manual Fill Flash at -2

Full Frame width ... original capture was a bit high in the frame so added some canvas to the top
and cropped an equal amount from the bottom.
Removed a few OOF blobs from the background.

With the seemingly eternal rain here in New England, I'm going through more images
from a visit to Morro Bay, CA back in March.

This is one of the first images I captured with my new 50D just after my 1D Mark III froze up
solid with an Error 99 with the shutter stuck closed. Good news was Canon fixed it out
of warranty for no charge.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques ! <!-- / message --> <!-- / message -->

Katie Rupp
07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Great detail, gorgeous light, a very nice low angle and to top it off, a soon-to-be crab meal makes this a winner for me---was this at Morro Bay Park or near Morro Rock?

Mike Milicia
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
was this at Morro Bay Park or near Morro Rock?

This one was on the beach near the Rock.

Ramon M. Casares
07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Just gorgeous. Great low anlge although IMO a little higher would've been better, stunning BG, pose, prey, comp, detail, colors and open bill is a plus.

Phil Ertel
07-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I like this. I agree with Katie that the low angle is nice. This is a nice simple image that really shows off the bird nicely. The prey item is a nice touch and the open beck tells a story. I might try and lighten or de-emphasize the dark bit in the upper right hand corner

Steve Maxson
07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice pose, low angle, sharpness and light, Mike. The open beak and the mole crab are pluses. I would agree about cloning the URC - it's not all that dark, but is just enough different from the rest of the background to draw my eye away from the bird. Well done.

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Love the angle and the light. You nailed a winner in my book Mike. :)

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-02-2009, 12:51 AM
This is really nice, I like it the way it is.

What I like:
- The ultra low angle
- The perfect exposure
- The opened beak of the bird
- The crab about to get devoured

Kobus Tollig
07-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Super light and well exposed. Ditto a bit higher but still super well done

David Hemmings
07-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Mike, this is without a doubt the nicest MG image I have seen. The angle, the light, details and bg are superb, but having the snack on the beach puts it over the top!

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I disagree with those who want the angle a tad higher. I think this is a super shot, pin sharp with exquisite light. The low angle and the pending morsel takes this over the top for me. super well done!

Richard Dumoulin
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Great exposure, bird is sharp and background is perfect!

All the ingredients for an amazing photo!! :)