PDA

View Full Version : A Midsummer Night's Dream

Mitchell Krog
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
I know what I did last summer :D :D

Morkel Erasmus
07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
what a dramatic scene Mitch! I really have to spend a weekend with you chasing storms and learning how you capture them so strikingly ;)

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Mitchell,
Please post the specs; SS, F-stop, ISO, lens and camera, so that others may learn from your efforts.
It appears the horizon is leaning and needs a cw rotation although the railing will then be tilted....so tough to tell which way to go. As for that railing.....I'm not the biggest fan of it as I find the sky and lightning so appealing....I constantly find myself wishing it wasn't there! Beautiful sky and lightning bolt.....not so sure on the railing but will see what others feel.

Fabs Forns
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
My first reaction was: Get that railing out of there!!!! :)

Very dramatic sky. Not sure about the horizon, Roman, it may be a slope because the railing is level.

Did you use a lightning trigger or just got lucky?
Please share how you got the picture, we are all ears :) ( I mean eyes LOL)

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
My first reaction was: Get that railing out of there!!!! :)

Very dramatic sky. Not sure about the horizon, Roman, it may be a slope because the railing is level.

Did you use a lightning trigger or just got lucky?
Please share how you got the picture, we are all ears :) ( I mean eyes LOL)

Hey Mitchell and Fabs,
I was leaning towards this......where I blacked out the railing after a 3 degree CW rotation....then cropped. I absolutely love the sky......was trying to figure out what to do with the railing.....hope you don't mind.
Fabs, in certain situations....if you know where the lens focuses on infinity.....you can set the f stop pretty wide open or even slightly stepped down......as it appears to be close to night.....set a 30 seconds(or longer) exposure.....the lightning will do the rest! Sometimes you get multiple bursts. During the day.....step down to f 11 or so (i find f22 makes too fine of a bolt).....slap on the singh ray vari nd filter......and get it to a very slow 10-25 second exposures.......fire away. Don't forget you may have to still use the split ND....sometimes upside down....depending on the situation. You can sometimes time the lightning as it starts to develope a pattern. does get a bit scary if it gets too close! I do own the trigger......haven't used it much on the new digiatal but there seems to be a bigger lag time issue.....now I rely on the Vari ND.
let's see what Mitch chimes in with.

Fabs Forns
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Roman, thanks for the tips, we have considered getting the trigger, but your technique sounds better.

Arthur Morris
07-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Way cool on the lightening. Am I the only one seeing the small type in the sky??????????????????????

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2009, 08:29 PM
nope....copyright!

Arthur Morris
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I am confused as the OP featured his name and the web site... And I do not recall seeing the small type in any of his other images....

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
ps says...www.livingcanvas.co.za

Kobus Tollig
07-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Super Bud well done. Great 3D effect well done

Mark Fuge
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Great image. I however agree to get rid of the railing and level the horizon. Other than that, awesome! :cool:

The small lightning cloud reminds me of a rare incident that we witnessed over the ocean last summer. There was one dark cloud that was flashing on and off. Clear sky where we were on shore and sheet lighting around it, but it was like a lightbulb, with this constant lightning show within the small cloud. It went on for about 15 minutes or more. Flashing 3-4 times a minute. Awesome, :cool: but no camera anywhere!!! :eek: Hope someday I can see it again, when I am prepared..

Robert Amoruso
07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Mitchell,

Already said but I agree losing the railing is the way to go. Spectacular lightning.